Anyone hiked 3 Sisters Loop recently?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Metacomet

Anyone hiked 3 Sisters Loop recently?

Post by Metacomet » July 7th, 2018, 7:00 am

Wondering if anyone can chime in on what the conditions look like around the Sisters at this point? Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: Anyone hiked 3 Sisters Loop recently?

Post by retired jerry » July 7th, 2018, 7:43 am

In case no one responds

There was a Broken Top TR recently, little snow

I'm pretty sure you can do the entire loop now. I bet there'll be some snow around Opie Dilldock and between Sister's Spring and Separation Creek, but not too bad. And between Middle and South Sister if you take that trail.

I'm thinking about doing that myself.

Shub

Post by Shub » July 24th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Any updated trips? I'm thinking about doing this loop for my first time. Coming from PDX and thinking of starting Lava Lake and doing it in three nights as I only have four days off. Suggestions on direction, water, etc.. Thanks!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 24th, 2018, 2:58 pm

I went from McKenzie Pass (Lava Lake), PCT south, between middle and south sisters to Camp Lake, over to Green Lake, and back the way I came.

Water is short on the west side - South Matieu, Minnie Scott, Sisters, Reese Lake, a little before Wikiup Plain, Moraine Lake

Field guide has some detail - click on "field guide", then "central oregon",...

Bugs were awful. Maybe they're starting to ease up. Bring long shirt, pants, DEET, head net

Shub

Post by Shub » July 24th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Yeah, I was just north of there in the Eight Lakes Basin a week and a half ago and was eaten alive. Bugs have been bad this year. Thanks for the info!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 24th, 2018, 3:57 pm

trip report from Elk Meadow seemed to indicate bugs are easing off?

I really like late August, September

Shub

Post by Shub » July 31st, 2018, 8:31 am

I think I'm going to give this loop a shot Thurs-Sunday starting from Lava Lake going clockwise. I just did the Broken Top loop, so I'll cover a few miles of the same trail, but this has been on my list for a few years.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 31st, 2018, 8:44 am

Look at the field guide and look how to find the trail between middle and south sisters. That is a great trail and cuts the distance a little if you decide you want that

Shub

Post by Shub » August 6th, 2018, 10:48 am

I just did this hike clockwise from Lava Lake 5/2 to 5/4. Overall, it was a great trip. Some of the new burn is kind of disappointing, as there is a fair amount. First night I camped at Green Lakes, which was packed for a Thursday and I found one of the last sites available, though I arrived about 7pm. Next day I planned to camp at Linton Meadows, but I had noticed smoke up near the Husband peak and noped out of there. I called to ranger station to report the smoke and hiked to just north of the Obsidian Limited area and camped there. Finished before noon on Saturday. I hiked this quite fast, as I typically do when I'm solo. I'd have taken it a bit slower if I had companions.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 6th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Shub wrote:
August 6th, 2018, 10:48 am
I just did this hike clockwise from Lava Lake 5/2 to 5/4.
Are you sure you didn't mean 8/2 to 8/4?