Sprague Lake (Mt. Jefferson Wilderness)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
neilsonw

Sprague Lake (Mt. Jefferson Wilderness)

Post by neilsonw » July 6th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Hello!

I was poking around on Google Earth, as one does, and noticed Sprague Lake tucked above Jefferson Park on Park Ridge. It looks like a beautiful place to camp, so I was wondering if that was viable (and not disallowed). Is there any kind of boot path over to the lake from the PCT or is it more of a find-your-own way?

Preliminary plan would be to set camp somewhere near there and explore the park below and/or Park Butte above during the day and/or for sunset. I'd be coming from Breitenbush Lake, so it looks like it'd be about 4 miles and 1500' in.

I couldn't find a whole lot about this lake so any insight or tips would be very helpful--thanks!

neilsonw

Re: Sprague Lake (Mt. Jefferson Wilderness)

Post by neilsonw » July 6th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Thank you--I saw Matt's reference to it but wasn't sure if there was an unofficial trail to keep an eye out for, or if there were any restrictions on camping there.

neilsonw

Re: Sprague Lake (Mt. Jefferson Wilderness)

Post by neilsonw » July 7th, 2018, 3:26 pm

For others who may be curious, I didn't realize Sprague Lk was also within the Jeff Park boundaries, so this applies:
If camping within 250 feet of any of the lakes in Jefferson Park you must camp within a designated site.
Perhaps there's a reasonably good spot in the area some distance away, though.