Conditions on Elk Cove/Dollar Lake/Cairn Basin

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
ppendhar

Conditions on Elk Cove/Dollar Lake/Cairn Basin

Post by ppendhar » June 29th, 2018, 7:49 am

Looking for trail/snow conditions for Elk Cove/Dollar Lake/Cairn Basin. I am planning a overnight at Elk Cove in mid July. Hoping for some melted spots near Dollar lake or Elk cove to camp.

jdemott

Re: Conditions on Elk Cove/Dollar Lake/Cairn Basin

Post by jdemott » June 29th, 2018, 1:20 pm

We hiked up Vista Ridge on Wednesday 6-27, thanks to a great trip report from justpeachy. We got up to just beyond the Eden Park junction (so probably a few hundred yards from the Timberline Trail) where it appeared everything ahead was covered in deep snow. I think the elevation was about 5650 where we turned around. The last quarter mile or so of the Vista Ridge trail before we turned back was off-trail since there were deep drifts on the trail itself. We didn't explore beyond that point, but we met a backpacker who had planned to stay overnight along the Timberline Trail but had to divert down to Eden Park because of the snow.

Obviously, snow melt is often a patchy process so there are probably some bare spots up higher...and it will probably be much different in a few weeks.

drm

Re: Conditions on Elk Cove/Dollar Lake/Cairn Basin

Post by drm » June 29th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Some of those sites on the mountain side of Dollar Lake have a lot of sun exposure so I think your chances of finding a melted piece of ground to camp on are pretty high. Elk Coves sites are more sheltered but they are lower down. With the way the melt has been going, I think your chances are pretty good. Your chance of being welcomed by more than a few mosquitoes are also pretty good, unless you get some windy weather.