Recommendations for first Gorge Backpacking Night

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
burnside

Recommendations for first Gorge Backpacking Night

Post by burnside » August 13th, 2017, 10:00 pm

My friend and I have been hiking the Gorge for the past two years now. We've completed Defiance, Larch, Dog, Hamilton, and some shorter peaks. Neither of us have ever been backpacking overnight, but we'd like to try it out somewhere in the Gorge.

What would you recommend for us beginners??? We talked to a hiker on Hamilton back in April and he suggested Eagle Creek, but it looks like that area is off limits right now. Any other suggestions? Maybe Herman Creek is an option?

Thanks for any suggestions! This is a very useful and inviting forum!

retired jerry

Re: Recommendations for first Gorge Backpacking Night

Post by retired jerry » August 14th, 2017, 5:15 am

Herman Creek would be good, like camp at Cedar Swamp. (It's not really a swamp). Quite a few spots to camp - look all around there or along the side trail.

drm

Post by drm » August 14th, 2017, 6:27 am

Although I also think Herman is the best choice, Eagle Creek is open for 4.8 miles, and good campsites start just after Low Bridge, about 4.2 miles in. If you can go on a weekday, Eagle Ck is an option. I just wouldn't take a chance on getting one of those sites on a weekend.

burnside

Post by burnside » August 14th, 2017, 11:05 am

Herman creek it is! By the way, do I need a bear resistant bag for up there?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 14th, 2017, 12:43 pm

There are bears although rodents are more of a problem to me. Hand your food is fine.

burnside

Post by burnside » August 15th, 2017, 7:49 am

Got it! Thanks for the tip.

Word Nerd

Post by Word Nerd » August 24th, 2017, 1:05 pm

I'm guessing you may have already done your overnight, but my husband and I did a nice overnight in the gorge last year that you might like as another option sometime. We left from the Eagle Creek trail head and went east along 84 on the gorge trail to the PCT and then picked up the Gorton Creek Trail at Herman Camp. We hiked this trail to the Deadwood Campground which was a small and sheltered camping spot (room for 3 tents or so?) a little ways past Indian Point. We stayed there overnight before hiking back the way we came the next day. It's a nice hike, but it is a lot of elevation gain at the end of a 13 mile day if you start where we did. You could start several other spots along the way to adjust the length of the day, though. If you did Herman Creek, you may have ended up here anyway!

burnside

Post by burnside » August 24th, 2017, 2:09 pm

I actually got injured two days before our trip. :(

I'm rehabbing right now and should be able to give it another go in September. I'll post back with a little report then.

Thanks for all the tips and help everyone!

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » September 3rd, 2017, 11:01 am

If you decide to go to Herman Creek, I recommend going just past Cedar Swamp to a little bump called "Noble Camp" which is about 100 yards past a noteworthy creek. Much better site.

drm

Post by drm » September 4th, 2017, 3:20 pm

leiavoia wrote:about 100 yards past a noteworthy creek.
That noteworthy creek is Herman Creek. Noble Camp is indeed a great site, but there isn't room for many people, so Cedar Swamp is safer if going during a busy time.