Avoiding the smoke Aug 10-14

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
jimsiff

Avoiding the smoke Aug 10-14

Post by jimsiff » August 6th, 2017, 5:19 pm

My son and I plan to do a 4-5 night trip Aug 10-14. Where would you go within an 8 hour drive of Portland to maximize alpine scenery and minimize smoky skies? Olympics? Trinities? Alpine Lakes? I'd love another trip to the Wallowas or Three Sisters area but I want to avoid the haze.

I've been using this to guesstimate the skies. http://lar.wsu.edu/airpact/gmap/ap5/ap5smoke.html
-Jim

drm

Re: Avoiding the smoke Aug 10-14

Post by drm » August 6th, 2017, 5:57 pm

It's impossible to say much in advance. The winds can shift and it seems they haven't been that great at forecasting these winds much in advance. It does seem that the smoke has tended to be worse to the north because the Canadian fires are so numerous, so having options to the south is a good idea. I've got a trip a little after your dates and I'm making a list. Included in that list, I hate to say, is a non-alpine trip that doesn't have views - but that's a last resort.

xrp

Post by xrp » August 7th, 2017, 6:53 am

Based on the map you linked (great resource, thank you) there doesn't seem to be a lot available.

The central Oregon Cascades caught my eye. I was also just there and hiked a bit in Diamond Peak Wilderness. There was a little haze some of the evenings, but not awful. I think if you are on the west side of Diamond Peak, there will be less haze.

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » August 7th, 2017, 11:16 am

Yeah, it's really hard to predict where the smoke will be ahead of time, especially this time of year when new fires can break out almost anywhere and develop quickly.

Here's some available satellite imagery, just another tool for determining where the smoke is currently:

https://fsapps.nwcg.gov/afm/imagery.php ... eID=or-000

Click on the "Bands 1,4,3 True Color" (JPEG). I think it's updated daily. It's hard to see where the smoke is today because of all the clouds, but here's a few days ago:
Attachments
2.jpg
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 8th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Having just returned yesterday from the Wallowas, I can report that there was plenty of smoke-haze there from last Thursday onward, and it was increasing as I left. :cry:

drm

Post by drm » August 9th, 2017, 4:54 am

All the forecasts are saying that not only will the smoke clear out this weekend, but we could get a bit of rain Sunday or Monday. The rain is definitely more likely farther north, so Hood or Three Sisters is probably the better choice. You're gonna get a little bit of everything weather-wise if you stick to that schedule.

jimsiff

Post by jimsiff » August 9th, 2017, 9:56 am

I've decided we're driving to Truckee and will do something around the PCT. Maybe south to Desolation. I'll figure it out today and report when we get back. It doesn't hurt that I have a tarptent waiting for me in Nevada City on the way to Truckee. Nothing like last minute prep, lol.
-Jim

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » August 9th, 2017, 11:02 am

Here's another smoke map I just stumbled across that's kinda interesting. Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere previously:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/p ... 591,22.989

You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 10th, 2017, 6:36 am

the first link - Seattle worse than Portland, Vancouver BC is horrible!!!