Tenderfoot pass to Polaris pass

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
SCtoPDX

Tenderfoot pass to Polaris pass

Post by SCtoPDX » August 3rd, 2017, 10:48 am

Hey All- I am planning on doing a 8 day trip to Eagle Cap Wilderness, going up the East Fork, over Tenderfoot pass, then Polaris Pass, dropping down to Frazier & Glacier lakes, then onward to Lakes basin etc etc. I have been over much of this route before ( I never did post that trip report, sorry ), so I am familiar with the area. My question is can you connect Petes point ( above Jewett Lake ) to Polaris Pass? Looking at Caltop and Google Earth it seems totally doable, but I can't find any beta online from some one who has done it. I am comfortable with exposure and loose footing. Really the only issue I see is lack of water from Jewett Lake down to the West Fork of the Wallowa River. I've attached a rough Caltopo track. Thanks for your input!

Ian
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 11.49.08 AM.png
Rough Caltopo Track

Born2BBrad

Re: Tenderfoot pass to Polaris pass

Post by Born2BBrad » August 4th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Ian,

I had that same question about going directly from Petes Point to Polaris Pass. Information obtained is that it is doable, but would require some ups and downs on scrambly rocks. Not sure how much, if any, time it would save over going back down to Tenderfoot Pass.

You are correct about limited water sources from Jewett Lake, up Tenderfoot Pass and up/down Polaris Pass. There is small creek not far down the other side of Tenderfoot Pass that looks like it dries up in summer. There is access to a creek way down on Polaris Pass.

Hike on,

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

SCtoPDX

Post by SCtoPDX » August 5th, 2017, 10:50 am

Brad- thanks for your input...I ran a couple of quick tracks on Caltopo- milage wise it's a wash, but the traverse has about 600' more EG and -1000' EG loss. I know it will take more time, but the views along that ridge would be epic. I'll post a trip report regardless if I do the traverse.

Last time I went ( 3rd week of September ) that creek on the backside of Tenderfoot Pass was dry, but did get water at the creek way down on Polaris. I think I carried something like 4L of water and that was more than enough. That said if we do the Petes to Polaris pass route I'll carry that much to be safe

thanks again!

Ian

cfm

Post by cfm » August 13th, 2017, 9:54 am

Yes absolutely! Wide open country up there, footpath in loose scree.

I also recommend a traverse over "Dollar Ridge" (above Dollar Lake) as an alternate or add-on to Pete's Point. Fun and easy ramble with views into multiple drainages.