Red lake area

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
-Q-

Red lake area

Post by -Q- » July 3rd, 2017, 9:43 am

Hi all,

Does anyone have any current snow condition updates for the red lake area?? How does the lake basin look?? What about potato butte or double peaks?? Thanks!!

BigBear

Re: Red lake area

Post by BigBear » July 3rd, 2017, 12:07 pm

Good thing you gave more of a clue to "Red Lake." There are so many of them. The nearby peaks let me know you mean the one by Olallie Lake. Without looking, I can tell you there will be several feet of snow on the trail with pools of water from the melting snow. I visited this area some years ago on a July 4th weekend (without the record snowfall) and that was what I found. From the other threads on Cascades travel, nothing is pointing me toward the belief the meltdown has occurred.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » July 3rd, 2017, 6:37 pm

If it helps at all the loop trails around Olallie and Monon Lake were completely melted out back on June 14th with the exception of where the trail joins the road along the Monon Lake loop.
I'd expect hungry mosquitoes in that area... :?

kelkev

Post by kelkev » July 4th, 2017, 6:27 am

I'd bet the trails are fairly clear since Olallie is melted out....but like Gene says....beware....mosquitoes will be brutal. Absolutely brutal.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

ADabWillDoYa

Post by ADabWillDoYa » July 5th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Was just up at Olallie this past weekend, the mosquitos were bad but I've seen far worse.