Harvey Road Trailhead

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Meiyong

Harvey Road Trailhead

Post by Meiyong » June 9th, 2017, 9:10 am

Has anyone tried to make it to the Harvey Road Trailhead this year? I see on the hike description page for the "other" Eagle Creek hike that as of last spring the trailhead was closed, but I was wondering if there was any chance it had reopened. Also, does anyone know how many miles going in from the Douglas Trailhead adds?

Webfoot

Re: Harvey Road Trailhead

Post by Webfoot » June 11th, 2017, 11:34 pm

I tried to get an answer here but I never got a reply. I'll try to head out that way soonish to see for myself, but I'd rather not waste the time if it is known to be closed.

Meiyong

Post by Meiyong » June 12th, 2017, 8:08 am

Webfoot wrote:I'll try to head out that way soonish to see for myself, but I'd rather not waste the time if it is known to be closed.
Awesome! Let me know if you make it and what you find. I'm looking for a relatively quiet place for a solo overnight over 4th of July weekend. I might just go in from the Douglas Trailhead. After looking at a few maps I think it only adds about 3 miles, so it would be under 7 to the Riverside Camp.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 14th, 2017, 5:42 am

Hoping to hear what [anyone!] finds out, too! :)

I wonder if some ranger district might have a clue?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 14th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Meiyong

Post by Meiyong » June 14th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Thanks for scouting! As my car is tiny I don't think I should brave that road. I guess I'll be hiking in from the Douglas Trailhead. I found out from this trip report that it adds ~4.7 miles (depending on how far it is from the Harvey Road TH to the Douglas-Eagle Creek Junction): http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =10&t=5285

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 14th, 2017, 1:32 pm

I'm happy my report was useful, but sorry that the road is poor.

I doubt it will be regraded any time soon unless there is more logging, but there is a chance that additional traffic once the road is dry may knock down the ruts more than deepening the dips and make the road more drivable. If not a couple of guys with shovels and a few hundred pounds of crushed rock could probably take care of the worst parts enough to make it drivable for most, but a bad back makes me unsuited to such work.

Meiyong

Post by Meiyong » June 14th, 2017, 2:11 pm

That's okay. It just means that it's less likely I'll run into a ton of people on my trip.