Recommendation for 1-week hikes in SEKI backcountry?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
SWriverstone

Recommendation for 1-week hikes in SEKI backcountry?

Post by SWriverstone » May 2nd, 2017, 7:22 am

Hi All:

I'm new to the west coast and very much want to spend some quality time this summer (timing is flexible) experiencing the High Sierras, never having been there. I plan to hike the JMT next summer, but I'd love to get a taste of what to expect.

So I'm seeking suggestions for a one-week backpacking trip in Sequoia/Kings Canyon (NP/wilderness) that includes some of the best it has to offer. My hope is that it's possible to get far enough into the backcountry in a week to experience some of what the JMT offers.

I'm in good shape, but don't want this to be a death march, LOL. Distances in the 10-15mi/day range would be ideal; I don't want to be "hiking on the clock" and have little time to appreciate the scenery. On the other hand, I might be willing to do longer days if they're necessary to get into the "real" backcountry.

I'll be scouring maps and researching this myself, but I'd welcome any suggestions.

Thanks!
Scott

SCtoPDX

Re: Recommendation for 1-week hikes in SEKI backcountry?

Post by SCtoPDX » May 2nd, 2017, 1:42 pm

I would post this question to Highsierratopix.com...there is a TON of info on there!

alpinista55

Post by alpinista55 » May 2nd, 2017, 3:25 pm

Hi Scott,

I've spent the past two summers hiking in SEKI, and am returning this summer for another trip. Here are two suggestions:

The Evolution Loop, North Lake to South Lake, was amazing! Roughly a 60-mile loop, the highlight of which is the Evolution Valley and Basin, and Dusy Basin on the final day. This hike is all on trail, with a significant portion on the JMT. It include three separate high basins and some wonderful hiking along Paiute Creek, the South Fork of the San Joaquin River, and the Middle Fork of Kings River in LeConte Canyon. We did it in 8 days, with a zero day in Evolution Basin.
IMG_5120-1.jpg
Evolution Basin, August 2015
Last year we went into the Gardiner Basin and the 60 Lakes Basin by hiking over Kearsarge Pass and Glen Pass, then cross-country into 60 Lakes Basin, where we did day hikes over the pass into Gardiner Basin. We hiked out via Rae Lakes and reversed our route over Glen and Kearsarge passes. This route had lots of fun off-trail opportunities, great fishing, and once off the trails we saw very few people. This was also an 8-day trip. Caltopo map: https://caltopo.com/m/51B3
IMG_6410_2.jpg
60 Lakes Basin, August 2016
This summer we are going back to the Evolution Basin, starting at Sabrina Lake, into the Sabrina Basin, then cross-country over 3rd class Haeckel Col, and out via Darwin Canyon and Darwin Col. CalTopo map: https://caltopo.com/m/E9E2

I love starting from the east side of the range, as the trailheads are high (9,000' +) and the drive down 395 is amazing. As noted by the previous reply, there is a lot of beta on highsierratopix.com. One note: I reserve my trip permit on the day they become available online, 6 months before our start date. Otherwise you have to line up early at the ranger station on the day of your hike and try for a same day permit. In addition, bear cans are required for all these hikes.

Hope you have a great trip!

Jay

drm

Post by drm » May 2nd, 2017, 3:59 pm

If you want something unusual, two places to check out are the Enchanted Gorge (via Ionian Basin) and the Gorge of Despair (Middle fork of the Kings). Summitpost describes the former as one of the most remote canyons in the Sierra, while it describes the latter as having some of the best rock climbing in the western US, though it's a spectacular hike without the climbing. I'll let you look up further details. I only visited the Gorge of Despair, my efforts to do the Enchanted Gorge were blocked by a high snow year and lack of time.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » May 2nd, 2017, 8:39 pm

Two possibilities come straight to mind: the Rae Lakes Loop, which is sort of short but has the advantage of not needing a shuttle; and the North Lake - South Lake Loop, which is probably prettier, but also logistically perhaps a little rougher.

How do you feel about offtrail travel? If you're open, there are almost limitless possibilities.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » May 3rd, 2017, 10:09 am

Good suggestions so far. Dusy Basin is one of my favorite places in the Sierras. I might recommend a layover day there, take one of several possible x-country routes over to Barrett Lakes and continuing to Potluck Pass and then back to camp. I'd also recommend camping at the highest lake in the basin, right at the foot of the Palisades.

My brother and I did a traverse that was short of a week long trip but could be expanded. Entered from South Lake and Bishop Pass, thru Dusy Basin, down to the Kings River and up to Muir Pass (the hut there is cool). Continuing to Evolution Basin, then Darwin Canyon, Lamarck Col and Lamarck Lakes and out to the North Lake trailhead.

I did an in and out overnight trip to Humphreys Basin (also starting from North Lake). That area is worth taking some time and poking around in. The basin is huge and there are lakes scattered everywhere. Easy off trail rambling is a must. The Desolation Lakes are pretty cool. Great view of Mt. Humphreys from various places in the basin.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » May 3rd, 2017, 10:13 am

I haven't been able to do it yet, but I've eyeballed trips taking off from the Mineral King or Crescent Meadow trailheads over on the west side of Sequoia. Looks like there are some loop options of varying lengths there.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » May 3rd, 2017, 10:20 am

YMMV, but I've never gotten permits far in advance. I always pick them up the day before my trip starts. You can get a permit at any of the Ranger Stations, doesn't matter if it's not the closest one to your entry point. If you are driving down from points north of SEKI and are on the east side, the Ranger Station at Mono Lake is a convenient place to pick up your permit. You can get a bear can from a different RS closer to where you're starting from. I've never failed to get permits for where I wanted to go doing it that way. Most recent visit to California was '13. As a side note, I've always been really impressed w/ the efficiency of the permit process there. Many of the trails cross back and forth between National Forest and National Park, but they have seamless integration and multi agency cooperation.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 3rd, 2017, 3:53 pm

These are all good suggestions but the North Lake - South Lake Loop and the Rae Lakes Loop get a lot of traffic - which may be OK since you're aiming for the JMT.

It's not SEKI, but for maybe fewer people, I'd suggest a loop out of Virgina Lakes on the east side - over the crest and down Virginia Canyon to Miller Lake (you'll be on the PCT/JMT for part of this), then back up Matterhorn Canyon, with a little XC just N of Whorl Mtn to get back to Virginia Canyon (~30 miles).

Or, if it has to be SEKI, then on the west side, the High Sierra Trail out of Wolverton to Bear Paw Meadow, then over Elizabeth Pass, down Deadman Canyon to Scaffold Meadows, and then back up over Silliman Pass, and then S back to Lodgepole/Wolverton (~44 miles).

These might be too short for a week but you can extend either loop, add in a peakbag, spend an extra day fishing, etc., etc.

SWriverstone

Post by SWriverstone » May 4th, 2017, 7:05 am

Wow—thanks for all the great suggestions! This gives me plenty of "fodder" for studying in CalTopo. :-)

I do prefer to avoid crowds, and I've heard the JMT can be like a conga-line of hikers, LOL Don't know how true that really is? (Sometimes the word "crowd" is relative.) So I'll definitely look at your suggestion VanMarmot.

I don't have to do the trip in SEKI. I just figured SEKI might be less crowded than Yosemite...but I then I think I've heard of places in the Yosemite backcountry that are pretty much devoid of people year-round, so that might be an option that requires less driving from Oregon?

Scott