Sisters Loop in July

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
subra1228

Sisters Loop in July

Post by subra1228 » March 15th, 2017, 11:34 am

Hi,
We're planning to backpack the Sisters Loop (starting at Lava Lake TH, going clockwise as most do) and have a few questions:
1. Thinking sometime during the last two weeks of July. In general - how's the weather that time of year? We don't want too much snow.
2. Regarding the Obsidian area - I know we'll need a permit to camp there, but do we need anything to pass through? (I know we need a permit for the entire trip, but that's found at the TH, right?)
3. If we do want to camp in the Obsidian area, how far in advance do we need to request a permit? We'll have an idea, but not know for sure, what night we'll want to be there.

Any other thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks & Happy Trails! :)

retired jerry

Re: Sisters Loop in July

Post by retired jerry » March 15th, 2017, 11:41 am

I did it July 28 last year

There was a lot of snow on the west side, maybe 15 miles. It would have been hard to find the trail except I had a gps track and I've done it many times before. A couple miles were icy and I kept falling on my rear. Lots of steep snow banks to go up and down. Somewhere between type 1 and type 2 fun.

I swore that next time I'll wait a few weeks

(I do that every year)

This year is looking to have a later snow melt

Last two weeks of August would be better

5th

Post by 5th » March 15th, 2017, 12:41 pm

subra1228 wrote:Hi,
We're planning to backpack the Sisters Loop (starting at Lava Lake TH, going clockwise as most do) and have a few questions:
July is when that area melts out. It may be passable in late July (many years it is) but there will still be some snow drifts and the mosquitoes will be in full force. No matter when you come, assume bad mosquitoes. They will be much better in August, but not gone (depending on how near you are to standing water). I recommend clothing to cover all plus a head net.

subra1228

Post by subra1228 » March 15th, 2017, 2:15 pm

So looks like we'll be there (with everyone else) in mid-August sometime! :)

Shub

Post by Shub » July 19th, 2017, 10:29 am

A friend and I were considering doing the loop next week, 7/26. Any updates on the trail conditions? We also have Obsidian permits and open to a non full loop shuttle option in the area.

WiredHiker

Post by WiredHiker » July 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

I was out on the PCT from Lava Camp Lake to the Scott Trail cut off and there was very little snow. Gets up to around 6450'. Ran into some thru hikers coming from Ashland and they made it through ok. Not sure what the Green Lakes to Park Meadows area is like but probably where most of the snow is still.

subra1228

Post by subra1228 » July 19th, 2017, 11:59 am

We heading to the loop next month. I know we cannot camp in the burn, but are there any places to camp right along the trail on the non-burn (west) side?
Thanks!

5th

Post by 5th » July 19th, 2017, 12:49 pm

subra1228 wrote:We heading to the loop next month. I know we cannot camp in the burn, but are there any places to camp right along the trail on the non-burn (west) side?
Thanks!
Sure. There are no established campsites to speak of (unless you are at a lake) but you can practice dispersed camping anywhere in there. Good LNT practice is to camp 200' away from any water or trail. That said, lots of the lakes have established sites right on the water. You just can't legally build a fire that close to the water.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/willamet ... istersregs

https://lnt.org/learn/7-principles

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 19th, 2017, 1:34 pm

When you say west side, do you mean north side? :)

Just before the burn area there are some flat, clear areas to camp. Also about 1 mile south of Alder Creek the trail briefly leaves the burn area and there are some nice places to camp. You could take drinking water from Alder Creek and only have to carry it 1 mile. Actually, a bit less than 1 mile.

The field guide has a lot of details like that.

subra1228

Post by subra1228 » July 23rd, 2017, 3:33 pm

retired jerry wrote:When you say west side, do you mean north side? :)

Just before the burn area there are some flat, clear areas to camp. Also about 1 mile south of Alder Creek the trail briefly leaves the burn area and there are some nice places to camp. You could take drinking water from Alder Creek and only have to carry it 1 mile. Actually, a bit less than 1 mile.

The field guide has a lot of details like that.
Thanks so much Jerry! What exactly do you mean by a "field guide?" Do you mean the detailed trip report? The one with the miles and what's there (i.e. camping, water, etc...)