Three Sisters Loop in Aug

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
5th

Re: Three Sisters Loop in Aug

Post by 5th » March 8th, 2017, 1:58 pm

I did this loop 2 years ago.

1. Consider waiting til mid August if the snowpack melts off late or you will get eaten alive.
2. I agree that clockwise is best, and I also think Lava Lake Camp is the best place to start and end.
3. On the west side, don't stay on the PCT. Just north of Mesa Creek, take Linton Meadows Trail, to Eileen Lake Trail instead. Stay at Eileen Lake. Then continue east on the Eileen Lake Trail back to the PCT. This route is MUCH better (IMO) and water is easier to find later in the season. Plus you get to see one of the few remaining shelters in a wilderness (the messages carved and written on the inside go back to the 60's).
4. Avoid Wickiup Plain in the heat of the day (it's an oven) or during any of the common mini-storms in the area (lightning with nowhere to hide).
5. Be sure to hike up onto Collier Cone. Enjoy the view from Opie Dilldock Pass.
6. If you get back to the start early and feel you have the time and energy, climb nearby Black Crater. It's about 5 miles of climbing trail, but the view is spectacular and nearly 360 degrees.
7. Have fun. Feel free to ask me if you have questions.

longstrides

Post by longstrides » March 8th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Thank you all very much for the replies. We are re-considering our starting point and will iron that out in the next few weeks. Will be easier I think to take some of the mentioned points instead of worrying about the permits. Thank you all again

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 8th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Maybe not this trip, but the trail between Middle and South Sisters is really scenic, or the trail around Broken Top (but not so much a few miles on the east side which has too much civilization), or the trail up to the summit of South Sister. Or go from Camp Lake to the pass above Green Lakes, but that's probably irresponsible of me to encourage people to do that because it's so off trail. Or go east from about Minnie Scott Spring over the mountain which is even more irresponsible. There is a lifetime of trips in that area.

longstrides

Post by longstrides » March 8th, 2017, 6:03 pm

lol tryin to get me into trouble. I can do that very well by myself lol. Have a another question. Sitting here looking at Green Trails maps 621 and 622. Where is the Lava Lake entry point?

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » March 8th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Lava camp is on the South side of 242 near Dee Wright. Right here.

Edit: Here is the Field Guide entry for it.

longstrides

Post by longstrides » March 8th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Got it. Thank you

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 9th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Here is a TR I posted of a July 23, 2013 loop I did. (I started at the pass rather than from Lava Camp Lake because I thought my car would be safer parked all day in a well-travelled spot. This meant about 2 miles extra hiking but the piece of mind was worth it, IMO).

Not exactly the loop you are planning but close:

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =8&t=16384
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

UTurn

Post by UTurn » March 10th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Here's our trip report. http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =8&t=19715

We had an awesome time and are going back the 2nd week of August this year to do the exact same route. I agree that even though we weren't expecting such a long first day, it was a beautiful route. I actually thought the burn section was stunning in its own way.

I can hardly wait to get back but I am a little concerned about the snow not melting off in time this year.

You will love this backpack! FYI......we went through a large can each of bug spray with 40% deet. May not be the healthiest thing but it was only 4 days and it kept them away and gave us peace of mind.