Mt Adams loop

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
retired jerry

Mt Adams loop

Post by retired jerry » June 16th, 2009, 9:39 am

J_W_Speed asked about loop around Mt. Adams.

I know a bit.

The Round-The-Mountain trail goes about 3/4 of the way - typical trail.

On the East side there's no trail.

I've been to Devil's Garden on the NE side of the Mt. I put this in the field guide:

"If you want to continue around the mountain, you go 2 miles on the trail from Devil's Garden, then 4.5 miles over "the Gap" which is trail-less and requires several large stream crossings. This is beyond what most people are willing to do. Some reports say that you have to cross two streams that are so big you have to carry your pack over your head. Other reports say it's easier to cross higher on the mountain at the lower end of glaciers."

see http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Flat_Hike

drm

Re: Mt Adams loop

Post by drm » June 16th, 2009, 11:52 am

The Green Trails map of Mt Adams has a trail marked through the east-side section, though I don't know how easy it would be to follow. I have been told that up from Bird Creek Meadows to Sunrise Camp there is a trail that is not hard to follow, though it is steep.

As to the crossing, I've been told that it really is only possible for most people in September in a dry year. Otherwise you need to cross the glacier.

Yankee

Post by Yankee » June 16th, 2009, 2:12 pm

I've been looking into the possibility of doing this trip also, and have found 3 main possibilities (I just scrolled in close using the Maps section on this site:

1st: Take the Ridge of Wonders route below the Klickitat Glacier overland to the base of Battlement Ridge and then continue cross country heading NE toward Goat Butte, where you should be able to pick-up the Highline Trail / jeep track. You could start from Bird Creek Meadows or from the trails near Bench Lake - Hellroaring Meadows Trl #184 or Island Springs Trl #66. This link is a good illustration of the starting points:

http://www.nwhiker.com/GPNFHike81.html
Routes to Little Mt Adams.JPG
Routes from Bench Lake area
Theses routes are approximate and just to give you an idea:
Ridge of Wonders route.JPG
2nd: Take the Hellroaring Crk Trl #174 (I think that's the # - I can't open the pic on the NWhiker site) east from Bench Lake and then continue on a short cross country section across Big Muddy Creek near the Diversion Dam and up to BIA 192. Follow this N/NW to the junction with the Highline Trail / jeep track. Then, continue to follow this W/NW...
Hellroaring Crk to Highline.JPG
Highline Extension 2.JPG
Highline Extension 1.JPG
3rd: Take the Island Springs trail and then continue cross-country N/NE over "The Island" and then down & up Avalanche Valley to reach the Highline Trail / jeep track.
The Island Route.JPG
These are a few ideas, and I'd be interested to hear others' takes as well.

Thanks,
Jeff

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » June 17th, 2009, 11:03 am

Most people take the climbers trail up to Sunrise Camp and then descend the Klickitat Glacier to the Big Muddy. The glacier is not heavily crevassed since its deteriorating quickly and there is just not much ice on the descent route. Rockfall could be a hazard here also. Trekking poles recommended. We saw some others with Yaktrax and no poles and they were doing faceplants!! I usually just drop down to the snout of the glacier and wade the stream right where it exits the terminus. From there its a cross country stroll to Avalanche Valley and you are back on the trail. Crossings on the eastside, like the Rusk and the Lyman need to be scouted for safe passage. The 2006 storm events erased some parts of trail between Avalanche Valley to Foggy Flat but its easy enough to navigate. I like to "cut the corner" here and climb up through the open rocky terrain from the Lyman crossing and down to the PCT. It can be done in 2 hard days.
PCT class of 2012

BCJ

Post by BCJ » June 17th, 2009, 3:53 pm

One important logistics piece to take care of before going is getting official permission from the Yakima tribe to cross reservation land. People's experience with this has ranged from very easy to a major headache.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 17th, 2009, 4:17 pm

I thought you only had to get permission to drive your car into reservation land.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » June 18th, 2009, 8:05 am

BCJ wrote:One important logistics piece to take care of before going is getting official permission from the Yakima tribe to cross reservation land. People's experience with this has ranged from very easy to a major headache.
Trust me, no permit is needed to travel through the Indian Reservation on the east side on foot. One stipulation was that you are not to travel off trail, stop, picnic, or camp in a 1 1/2 mile stretch between Avalanche Valley and the reservation boundary. This area is closed reservation but if you are traveling around the mountain, its OK to travel this section of trail. I have made this trip 3 times and always check with the Trout Lake Ranger Station to make sure these regulations have not changed. In fact, Richard (can't remember his last name) from the Yakima Tribe just told the rangers that these regs will remain the same for '09. Please respect thier land as you would a wilderness and leave no trace.

I'm sure if you contact the reservation, you'll find someone to sell you a permit. ;)
PCT class of 2012

drm

Post by drm » June 18th, 2009, 10:01 am

I've also been told that as long as you stay high, no permit is needed. And you probably wouldn't get one for lower down.

If we have a dry summer I may try this one in Sept. I'd plan on 3 days with camps at Sunrise and Killen Creek. Maybe an additional night near Horseshoe Meadow if I'm feeling slow and have the time. Any reason to spend another night on Mt Adams. :D

One :?: about the glacier crossing if the water is high: okay so no crevasses, but is it steep enough to need an ice axe?

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » June 19th, 2009, 8:08 am

drm wrote:I've also been told that as long as you stay high, no permit is needed. And you probably wouldn't get one for lower down.

If we have a dry summer I may try this one in Sept. I'd plan on 3 days with camps at Sunrise and Killen Creek. Maybe an additional night near Horseshoe Meadow if I'm feeling slow and have the time. Any reason to spend another night on Mt Adams. :D

One :?: about the glacier crossing if the water is high: okay so no crevasses, but is it steep enough to need an ice axe?
3 days sounds good. I do not bring an ice axe. The glacier is a bit steep at the top but I usually skirt the right side in the loose rock until a good entry point onto the ice is found. Then swing out towards the middle to avoid any possible rockfall off the slope above. (I've only seen saw one rock tumble down past us and it could have been from the goats we spooked out of Sunrise Camp.) I have carried crampons but never used them. Again, my wife and I just used trekking poles. The ice really deteriorates in late summer and gets very dirty and has meltwater running down it. If you were to slip, you don't slide far on this abrasive ice. We found balance to be the key and thats where the poles really help.
PCT class of 2012

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » June 19th, 2009, 10:31 am

Here are some pics of the the area known as "the gap". First, here is the general route I take through this section.
The gap on Mt Adams.jpg
This photo was right after the 97 event and the debris slide is clearly visible. In the photo, Sunrise Camp is on the upper left and the Klickitat Glacier coming off the right hand side. There is more snow here than you will see in August or September.

Now here are some pics of our trip from 2 years ago. Mazama Glacier from near Sunrise Camp.
Memory Card 1 945.JPG
I usally avoid camping at Sunrise because its a climbers camp (early morning wake up!), it could be uncomfortable in bad weather, and its better to descend the Klickitat after it has warmed. You might have some unexpected company.
Memory Card 1 946.JPG
Looking down the Klickitat with Goat Butte in the distance.
Memory Card 1 947.JPG

We did see another group on this section. My wife is the closest in the photo, using just poles to descend the old ice. The others seemed to have trouble staying upright.
Memory Card 1 951.JPG
Attachments
Memory Card 1 954.JPG
PCT class of 2012