Timberline Trail Elliott Creek Rope Cut???

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
abeizen1

Timberline Trail Elliott Creek Rope Cut???

Post by abeizen1 » August 22nd, 2016, 8:55 am

Good Morning, I'm planning to hike Timberline later this week, it's been two years since I have, but I saw a post this morning on a runners site saying one of the Elliott Creek ropes had been cut. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Thanks!!

adamschneider

Re: Timberline Trail Elliott Creek Rope Cut???

Post by adamschneider » August 22nd, 2016, 1:13 pm

I have no idea... but if they HAVE been cut, it really makes little difference; the route is still doable. Just be more careful on the steeper west side, and bring poles if you have them. The hardest part is the stream crossing itself.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 22nd, 2016, 2:31 pm

It was reported a while ago the rope on the East side was gone, but that's the less needed one

I never put a lot of trust on those ropes regardless. Prepare for them to break.

abeizen1

Post by abeizen1 » August 22nd, 2016, 4:18 pm

Agreed, i barely used them last time I was there but I'm going to have two teenagers with me this time and I just wanted to be prepared (I plan on taking their packs down for them so they can focus on safely climbing down and back up). I agree, last time I did it, the water was by far the hardest part of the crossing, i figure this time it'll be impossible to avoid getting my feet wet in order to help them keep theirs dry :-)

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » August 22nd, 2016, 6:19 pm

My son and I hiked the TT counter-clockwise and, yes, the rope on the Cooper Spur side is no longer there, but the trail down is very easy. I am pretty much deathly afraid of heights and it was totally fine. Follow the cairns back along the river to where it fingers and the river crossing is way better. After the rope on the other side, there is still some scrambling before topping out. Be safe and have a great trek.
Ann
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Peder

Post by Peder » August 22nd, 2016, 11:38 pm

As Ann said, go upstream to the next plateau (the terrain is rather fragmented on the Cooper Spur side - but there are cairns). On the plateau the creek braids out and is usually pretty easy to cross with dry feet. The return to the ropes on the western side is mostly on trail.

BTW - the teenagers should be just fine. They can do 10 times more than their parents think!

Have lots of fun!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 23rd, 2016, 6:32 pm

Just to be a dick (every site has to have one) I'm going to say that I crossed right over the creek at the bottom of the east side rope, then went straight up the west side without going upstream at all, then ascended the west side without touching the rope at all.

I say this not so much to brag (okay, slightly) but mostly to point out that the difficulty of this crossing is exaggerated and the analysis of how to get across is a bit overwrought. I think it's good that the rope is there though. It certainly adds a comfort level, especially for the descent. And it's a nice route marker. Admittedly, the creek crossing can vary from time to time.

I have a trip planned for early October, and I was hoping to try out the new trail, but I guess it won't be open yet. Seriously considering bringing my own rope just in case...hmmm...not much space/weight in the pack, and can ditch it after the crossing, so probably should, just to be safe. Hate to rely on a community rope (e.g. the Munra chimney).

abeizen1

Post by abeizen1 » August 24th, 2016, 10:51 am

Thanks for all the info all, we're heading out tomorrow so I'll post when I return. I'm reassured with all the info - happy hiking!

ripley

Re: Timberline Trail river crossings

Post by ripley » August 24th, 2016, 7:40 pm

Always good to read current trip reports. Headed to TT with my son and well we aren't the tallest of folks so hoping we can easily make the river crossings. :shock: Wont have daddy long legs with us this trip and thinking all these hot days has melted snow to increase river heights? Won't lochte, I'm a tad nervous of the height and swiftness of these icy crossings!! See some of you out there!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 25th, 2016, 5:36 am

snow mostly melted, river crossings get progressively better into September, you should have little problem

there is a chance water will get in your boots