Water sources between JRO and Loowit Falls?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mjuliana

Water sources between JRO and Loowit Falls?

Post by mjuliana » August 14th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Planning on doing this with my son tomorrow. Are there any dependable water sources at this time of the year?
Thanks,
Mike J

Chip Down

Re: Water sources between JRO and Loowit Falls?

Post by Chip Down » August 14th, 2016, 7:57 pm

Tomorrow, you say? Hope you get a better answer than mine.
Quite a few years ago, I found a desperately-needed creek a bit east of loowit, and that was maybe sept/oct.
Still there? Can't say. I recall it was advised that hikers abstain from creeks that were crater or spring fed, but I don't know the details.
Bottom line: unless you get another response in the next few hours, I'd say carry all you need, in small bottles, and hide them along the way so you don't have to carry them all day.
Have fun!

Peder

Post by Peder » August 14th, 2016, 8:21 pm

If you do a lollipop at the Loowit Falls end, you will come past a superb spring at N46° 13.657' W122° 09.960' in some trees. The water is cold and clear.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 15th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Peder wrote:If you do a lollipop at the Loowit Falls end, you will come past a superb spring at N46° 13.657' W122° 09.960' in some trees. The water is cold and clear.
Willow Springs! Absolutely delicious. I'll always say, "it saved my life one day."
    July 2, 2016
I've seen people filtering it, but I always just drink a liter right from it, then refill as needed. The Truman Trail crosses three or four good-sized creeks, as well, but none compare to the springs for ice-cold goodness.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...