Is the Hart's Cove trail still open?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Boozeman

Is the Hart's Cove trail still open?

Post by Boozeman » August 12th, 2016, 10:41 pm

I drove out to the coast today do the Hart's Cove hike. I plugged "Cascade Head Road/1861" into Google Maps. It got me through most of the directions that I saw in my guide book, but when I got to the actual Cascade Head Road/FS 1861 the "road" looked like no more than a horse trail. It was very overgrown with weeds and there was still a yellow metal gate across it. If Google had accurate satellite maps, I was at the right spot. It just wasn't open. There were no signs or any closure indicators around either.

Wondering if there might have been some trail damage or something that made it unsafe. Or if Google was just messing with me. That will teach me to forget my Old School paper map roots. :cry:

I finally gave up and did the nearby Cascade Head Nature Conservancy Trail. That was actually a pretty nice door prize. :D

kaltbluter

Re: Is the Hart's Cove trail still open?

Post by kaltbluter » August 13th, 2016, 8:58 pm

The FS page says that it's open.

I think you were at the right place. This is the road I took to Hart's Cove a few years ago.

Boozeman

Post by Boozeman » August 14th, 2016, 6:14 am

Thanks for the info!!!

That doesn't look like the road that Google took me to. It was on the old hwy 101 back in the forest. I think that it might have been the opposite end of the road that you have pictured. Either that or the mapping of that area isn't entirely accurate. I drove around a bit trying to find the other end of the road, but saw no signs or anything.

I know that a lot of Forest Service roads aren't signed, so you kind of just wing it and hope for the best.

Maybe next trip out there I'll feel a little more adventurous and check out some of the mystery roads in the area. Even better, I'll get a physical map of the area instead of relying on GPS.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 14th, 2016, 6:30 am

Peder

Post by Peder » August 14th, 2016, 9:48 am

Boozeman wrote:That doesn't look like the road that Google took me to.
The road is just before the high point on Hwy 101 as it goes around the back of Cascade Head. Remember for your return trip that the road is closed from January 1 to June 30 (as I recall) to protect the wildlife!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

miah66

Post by miah66 » August 15th, 2016, 11:18 am

kaltbluter wrote:The FS page says that it's open.

I think you were at the right place. This is the road I took to Hart's Cove a few years ago.

Kind of humorous that Subaru parked there w/ the flat tire. :lol: :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider