Mount Adams Trails - any unburned with good road access?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mattisnotfrench

Mount Adams Trails - any unburned with good road access?

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 12th, 2016, 3:22 pm

I've been itching to get back to Mount Adams for a few years. I'd like to take a group of people up to Mount Adams on a backpacking trip of 2-3 days, starting in a couple of weeks. After hours of research I can't figure out anymore what is even accessible.

If possible I'd love to do something with the least amount of burn zone possible, and without driving on any bad roads. The photos I've seen recently of 2329 east of Taklakh Lake are scary enough for me to stay away, even though Killen Creek or Foggy Flat were my first choices.

Does anybody have any recommendations?
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

drm

Re: Mount Adams Trails - any unburned with good road access?

Post by drm » July 12th, 2016, 5:46 pm

If coming from the south through Trout Lake, Killen Creek is your choice. No burn and the 2329 road is okay. A bit bumpy but not bad. Of course I haven't driven it this year. If coming from the north from Randle, then Muddy Meadows is the choice, with the northern PCT out of Potato Hill as another choice. Road 2329 is washed out between the two. The only other access trail without burn is Divide Camp, which is a bit easier drive than Killen Creek (a little closer) but except for Divide Camp itself, which is not very high up, lacks nice camping spots up high. And the Killen Creek area has tons of great camping spots of all types (i.e. in a meadow, up high in alpine, etc). You also can hike to the glacial lake at High Camp or even camp at High Camp, which usually has running water through most of the summer.

If you absolutely insist on staying on paved roads, then the Riley Trail might e your best choice. Parts of it burned last year in it's mid-section, but it was a relatively small burn and it's one of the prettier access hikes on Mt Adams in that there are many ponds and meadows.

Note that a couple of weeks from now may well be close to peak mosquitoes and both Killen Creek and Riley get them bad - briefly, but bad.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 12th, 2016, 8:23 pm

This was the report I saw from this year. Of particular note was this photo of 2329:

That's supposed to be near the Divide Camp TH, which is before Killen Creek. I want no part of driving over that.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

drm

Post by drm » July 13th, 2016, 6:33 am

mattisnotfrench wrote:This was the report I saw from this year. Of particular note was this photo of 2329:

That's supposed to be near the Divide Camp TH, which is before Killen Creek. I want no part of driving over that.
The report you took that from does not say it is near Divide Camp. I would assume that is the washout between Muddy Meadows and Killen Creek, but I don't know that for a fact.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 13th, 2016, 1:33 pm

After re-reading the report DRM, you are correct. The directions on the WTA site and in the respective guidebook are from Randle, so this guy probably tried to get through from the other side. I might give this a shot but I'm going to have to call the ranger station just to be sure.

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » July 13th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Wow, that's pretty far gone. I drove the length of 2329 between Takhlakh and the junction with 56 a few years ago, and while there were some rough spots, it was manageable in my Elantra at the time. But considering how hard the Pinchot got hit this last winter, I'm not really surprised. Lots of closures down there. Hopefully 2329 will get repaired sooner rather than later since it'll be one of the two viable bypasses to the 23 washouts (the other being 56) when coming from the Packwood side.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 13th, 2016, 10:11 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:After re-reading the report DRM, you are correct. The directions on the WTA site and in the respective guidebook are from Randle, so this guy probably tried to get through from the other side. I might give this a shot but I'm going to have to call the ranger station just to be sure.
I called the ranger station and they confirmed, as was stated above, that the washout is after the Killen Creek TH. So it appears that my backpacking trip is on, now. Thanks for the info!

Walkin' Fool

Post by Walkin' Fool » July 18th, 2016, 8:27 am

I've been up to Killen Creek twice in the past month and the last few miles are pretty rough, but doable. I was glad to be in a truck, but there were a few cars at the Killen Creek TH, including a Prius (although I can't imagine it didn't scrape bottom a time or two). The road to up to Riley's fine. It doesn't get really bad until just past Tahklahk.

Skeeters at both Killen Creek and Riley were moderately bad.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 31st, 2016, 10:17 pm

We just got back from our trip and I second what Walkin' Fool said above - 2329 is rough but doable. There are lots of ruts and loose rock but you can do it in a low-clearance vehicle if you drive slowly. Watch out for the blind curves, though.

The wildflowers are popping up on the north side of Adams right now, too.