3/4 day trip recommendation

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Gumbo_Jambalaya

3/4 day trip recommendation

Post by Gumbo_Jambalaya » June 29th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Hey there everyone,

I'm new to the area, looking for a recommendation for a good 3 or 4 day trip at this time of year (i.e. mostly not covered in snow). I live in Portland, so anything within a stones throw of that is fair game, with particular focus on the Gorge / Mt. Hood area.

I would like to do the Timberline, but from what I can tell it is covered in snow at this time of year still. I saw some nice pictures of a hike up Cooper Spur, so it seems like small portions of the Timberline are accessible at least... Perhaps some sort of adjuncting trail would be nice if it is possible, but I don't have a great idea about the conditions in the area.

Thanks for you help. Very useful site and forum.

mreha

Re: 3/4 day trip recommendation

Post by mreha » June 29th, 2016, 9:13 pm

I did a variation of this one a few week ago and it was a lot of fun and 100% free of snow:

http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Lake_Hike

(I stayed on the Pacific Crest Trail instead of taking Ruckel Creek as described, though, and ended in Cascade Locks. That ended up being by far my favorite part of the trip so I would recommend it! Once I got on the PCT I only saw one group of hikers in a two day stretch).

Gumbo_Jambalaya

Post by Gumbo_Jambalaya » June 29th, 2016, 9:46 pm

mreha wrote:I did a variation of this one a few week ago and it was a lot of fun and 100% free of snow:

http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Lake_Hike

(I stayed on the Pacific Crest Trail instead of taking Ruckel Creek as described, though, and ended in Cascade Locks. That ended up being by far my favorite part of the trip so I would recommend it! Once I got on the PCT I only saw one group of hikers in a two day stretch).

Nice, thanks for this. I actually have a copy of "Backpacking Oregon" which lists this hike (I think the exact variation you did) but just in reverse. I was definitely considering this, so good to hear you enjoyed it.

The other area I was considering was making a loop with some off shoots around Zig Zag Mt, so if anyone has some info on that, would be appreciated.

romann

Post by romann » June 29th, 2016, 10:45 pm

I'd say Timberline Trail is fine by now. Hiked the section between upper Gnarl Ridge on 6/26 (consistent snow level at 6300', well tracked but it's good idea to have spikes and ski poles for those several snowy miles) and between the trail 667 @ ski area. Biggest problem were steep snowy gullies just south of Clark Creek, they're no more than 20-30 feet wide - but steep. May melt out by next weekend. There was also report of bad blowdown on trail near Elk Cove. Zero bugs (that may change). Saw 2 other groups, one was going around the mountain.

weekend_warrior

Post by weekend_warrior » June 30th, 2016, 7:44 am

romann wrote:I'd say Timberline Trail is fine by now. Hiked the section between upper Gnarl Ridge on 6/26 (consistent snow level at 6300', well tracked but it's good idea to have spikes and ski poles for those several snowy miles) and between the trail 667 @ ski area. Biggest problem were steep snowy gullies just south of Clark Creek, they're no more than 20-30 feet wide - but steep. May melt out by next weekend. There was also report of bad blowdown on trail near Elk Cove. Zero bugs (that may change). Saw 2 other groups, one was going around the mountain.
not so sure, I think another week or two of warm temps are needed to melt the snow bridges

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24069

Gumbo_Jambalaya

Post by Gumbo_Jambalaya » June 30th, 2016, 8:47 am

I saw someone update regarding PCT saying: "Much snow from 5500′ south of Ramona Falls to Timberline Lodge…have a good GPS. last, over 50 trees down and 2 glacial stream crossings make this a slower section…scout well." (6/27). Maybe Timberline is doable at this time, but I'm looking for smooth sailing and I'd rather just wait to do Timberline in a month or so when I have another chance.

weekend_warrior

Post by weekend_warrior » June 30th, 2016, 10:18 am

not in the Gorge or Mt. Hood area, but the Loowit Trail is good to go

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » June 30th, 2016, 10:37 am

Hatfield Traverse, or a derivative of it, maybe? I would start at Herman and climb to Wahtum, and then head west down to Multnomah Falls. That would be abut 45 miles, I think, and by doing it in that direction, you avoid the grueling first day climb to the summit of Larch with 4 days of supplies in tow.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 30th, 2016, 7:04 pm

My first thought when I saw the topic title was that it's strange to ask for advice on a three-quarters-of-a-day hike. Strangely specific.

How about you pick 4 looong day hikes and car-camp in between. It would be almost like you were away from civilization for 4 days, but you'd finish up much better fed and much cleaner, and your shoulders will thank you. I know, not exactly the same, but your snow-free stipulation makes this tough.

pdcrowe

Post by pdcrowe » July 5th, 2016, 6:08 am

I have similar question as OP except I'm looking at July 20-24. Would you expect North Mt Hood / Timberline / Eden / Cairn area be snow-free by then? I'm an inexperienced backpacker hiking with my 19 yr old daughter, so I'm looking for a fairly easy 4-day but really want to get up to that area if possible. Otherwise, we'll settle for one of the lower elevation suggestions.
Thanks for all the really great advice! We're coming up from So. Cal and I'm finding the info and feedback on this board invaluable!