2016 Timberline Trail Loop Conditions?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Joeshmo

2016 Timberline Trail Loop Conditions?

Post by Joeshmo » June 20th, 2016, 7:47 am

I couldn't find a thread with current conditions for the Timberline Trail Loop so I started this one!

Any known trail washouts/blockings other than the Elliot washout?

Is the trail free of steep/deep snow?

Are any wildflowers blooming?

Are the ropes still up at the Elliot washout?

How swollen are the water crossings?

Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: 2016 Timberline Trail Loop Conditions?

Post by retired jerry » June 20th, 2016, 8:39 am

you're 2 months early :)

still lots of snow. Probably many of the stream crossings have snow bridges. The Eliot ropes are buried in snow

check that Three Fingered Jack trip report which would be similar

Guy

Post by Guy » June 20th, 2016, 8:51 am

Was up there yesterday, currently near 100% snow coverage on the North side:

Dollar Lake.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » June 22nd, 2016, 8:07 am

Also I posted this on Guy's June 20 Vista Ridge trip report:

I was up there late afternoon the same day & saw your footprints on Dollar Lake. Much sunnier at that point. Planned to camp at the site just above the lake but indeed there was more fresh snow than I expected, about four inches of wet snow at the site. Ending up continuing to Elk Cove where several sites were snow free.

Continued to the Compass crossing Monday (6/20) where I finally turned back because my experience and gear was not enough for the conditions. Dicey-looking snow bridge over the creek, and the only bare section to cross below the snow bridge but immediately above the waterfall. Too close for me. I only had trekking poles and microspikes. Had hoped to complete the loop back to Timberline, where I started Sunday morning, but I figured that would be unlikely given the early date. All in all a 22 mile day on Sunday and a 26 mile day on Monday. Farther than planned, especially back to back and through miles of wet snow on the north side. Recovering today!

Between Dollar Lake and Compass there were several steep snow slopes I navigated okay with the trekking poles only. There were also two snow slopes I navigated above because I was concerned about small avalanches and the runouts ending in especially bad places - cliffs & rocks & creeks.

Just east of Elk Cove there is a 1/2 mile of trail with more blowdown-blocked trail than clear trail. Never seen anything so bad. This is basically a cross country section.

Lodge to McNeil Point spur is almost entirely snow-free other than a few easy to hike drifts at 5200 and above.