Beyond Oregon: Has anyone ever backpacked The Maze?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
SWriverstone

Beyond Oregon: Has anyone ever backpacked The Maze?

Post by SWriverstone » June 17th, 2016, 6:50 am

Hi All:

I realize this is an Oregon hiking forum, but I'm very interested in doing a backpacking trip into The Maze in Utah's Canyonlands N.P., and just wondering if anyone here has been there?

I'm a fit, experienced backpacker, very good with GPS/map/compass skills...and lest anyone think my interest in The Maze is passing, I've wanted to go there ever since reading Edward Abbey's description of it more than 20 years ago.

As many of you may know, it's about the most remote area of the lower 48, and receives fewer than 2,000 visitors a year. I guess it's a bucket list thing for me. At age 53 I'm not getting younger, and want to do it while I'm still strong—before age becomes a limiting factor. :-)

While willing to do it solo, I'd be up for a having a companion or two. Beyond that, I'm in no hurry. This fall is a possibility...or possibly the following spring. I want to research the hell out of it before going—which takes time.

Scott in Eugene

Webfoot

Re: Beyond Oregon: Has anyone ever backpacked The Maze?

Post by Webfoot » June 17th, 2016, 6:59 am

Interesting, but shouldn't this be in viewforum.php?f=12 ?

drm

Post by drm » June 17th, 2016, 7:04 am

The years I lived in Colorado I visited Canyonlands many times, but never The Maze. The general trend, at least then, was that 4X4 aficionados went to The Maze and hikers went to Isles in the Sky or other lower areas outside of Moab. Of course the issue for desert hiking is water. You can only carry so much so desert backpacking is limited to locations with reliable water supplies. Maybe you've done research and found a viable route though.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » June 17th, 2016, 8:11 am

There was a trip report posted a few years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14947

I've been to several other parts of Canyonlands which I greatly enjoyed. Based on everything I've heard about the Maze, I'd just say 'be prepared.'

SWriverstone

Post by SWriverstone » June 17th, 2016, 8:46 am

@Webfoot—yes, I probably should have posted there! somehow I didn't notice it...(but when I get closer to actually planning the trip I can post up there).

@drm—I read that offroad vehicles sometimes drive into The Maze...but my impression is that very few do it. (It's definitely not choked with dust clouds and exhaust fumes from vehicles roaring around.) From what I've found online, the total number of anyone in The Maze in any given year is very low...and there are probably as many people on foot as in vehicles.

And water is definitely a concern, so I'd plan the trip accordingly: limit daily distance to less than I'd normally consider possible anywhere else; be sure I'm fit enough to carry 10 liters of water if necessary; know where any water sources may be; and keep a close eye on weather patterns and total rainfall in the months and weeks leading up to the trip.

@jdemott—nice report, photos, and video—thanks!

Scott

mandrake

Post by mandrake » June 17th, 2016, 11:01 am

Some friends and I did a five day backpack loop in The Maze a few years back. It's an incredibly remote area and beautiful scenery. Access: either 4WD vehicle (some sections reportedly require to have an experienced driver behind the wheel... more technical four-wheeling) or hire a jetboat out of Moab. We did the latter... arranged for a drop-off and then set a time to be picked up five days later. There are a very few roads that penetrate The Maze... but it is not a 4WD playground. Vehicles are restricted to roads inside the park boundary. In the area we were in, there's all of one road... and it's an out & back.

Plan your trip with water sources out there -- the rangers can help you with this to a degree. We went in late May and did not have much of a problem with water, although it was pretty hot. Spring is probably best per reliability. Good maps required. It is very easy to get disoriented when down in the canyons. GPS can be a good idea for keeping your bearings, but don't rely on them unduly per lack of signal.

We did a loop route starting and finishing at The Doll House.
Day I: South through Wide Valley & The Fins. Spring sort of west of the Whitmore Arch.
Day II: Jumped up and hiked the "road" for a few miles to drop into the South Fork of Horse Canyon. Getting into the canyons, it becomes clear where the area gets its name from. The drop into the south fork was amazing. Camped up in the wash somewhere west of the Chocolate Drops. There was abundant water. Hiked up to the Maze Overlook.
Day III: Dropped into the east(?) fork of Horse Canyon. Visited the Harvest Scene. Up to see the Chocolate Drops, then camped somewhere in the east fork. Prolly good to carry water in this area.
Day IV: Exited east fork to the Land of Standing Rocks and followed old trail route into Shot Canyon and Water Canyon. Great water source as the name implies. Siesta here, then hiked out to an area above the confluence to camp with amazing views.
Day V: Return on trail past the Beehive Arch to The Dollhouse for pickup. Dollhouse area very worth exploring.