The "Old" Mt Mitchell Trail

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
kepPNW

Re: The "Old" Mt Mitchell Trail

Post by kepPNW » June 9th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Your map shows the correct way to come in from the north via Cougar. However, if you are already at Chelatchie, it's much shorter to come in from the south. From the Chelatchie store, it is 16.7 miles to the TH from the south but 23.2 if you go north to Cougar first. I wouldn't trust a mapping program once you get into the forest road network.
Yeah, not my natural instinct to trust them on gravel, either. And it certainly looked longer to go north from Chelatchie, but that is what it did, at which point I dove down the rabbit hole of trying to understand the algorithm more than anything else. (Is it because of an assumption that even though longer, it's faster? <= my most favored explanation.)

At any rate, I think I'd probably be coming in along 503 all the way from Woodland, rather than Battle Ground, so that northern approach will likely be the favored choice. (Didn't you say you thought it was quicker, even though longer, anyway?)

Thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 9th, 2016, 6:24 pm

Karl,

My only concern about coming south from Cougar is the current logging operation, which has the road closed. But, Don says it seems to be open on the weekends. My view is that it is long ways to drive if it is closed.

Personally, I would drive in from the south (Canyon Creek), and then try to drive out going north. But then, I like driving the Canyon Creek, even though it is one of the twistiest roads around.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 10th, 2016, 7:07 am

K.Wagner wrote:My only concern about coming south from Cougar is the current logging operation, which has the road closed. But, Don says it seems to be open on the weekends. My view is that it is long ways to drive if it is closed.
Ahhh, I didn't catch that about logging and weekends. Good to be aware of, thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

EricInVancouver

Post by EricInVancouver » May 24th, 2020, 10:36 am

Was up on this track yesterday and it was wonderful! Took road in from the North and there were no problems, didn't even see a gate anywhere. Parked at trailhead with a couple other vehicles and followed the beautifully maintained trail all the way over to Mt. Mitchell. The only place that had me double checking gps was right before the Sugarloaf boulder field, the forest gets pretty messy and branches have covered much of the floor, so I lost the path. Also, there looked to be fresh stakes and markings on trees for logging along the route. Thanks for keeping that trail all brushed up, it was awesome.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 5th, 2020, 4:11 pm

EricinVancouver,
I am confused by your post. I drove up there today to check it out. I drove through Cougar, then about 6 miles to the last right turn you can make before crossing the canal. At .9 miles, I ran into this:
Image.
This sure looked like a gate to me, and with all kinds of signs saying things like: No Tresspassing. No Public access. Road Closed.
How did you get to the TH without seeing this??
Kelly

Skamania 231

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 5th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Since Eric mentioned the Sugerloaf boulder field he must have gone in from the west side, not the original trail from the east side. Also, he mentioned markings for logging and I noticed that too when last there.

So, glad to hear the trail is still in good shape! I think I'll go up there when the next good weather hits.

dn
Last edited by Don Nelsen on June 6th, 2020, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 6th, 2020, 12:16 pm

I think what confused me was that he said he didn't see a gate. & I thought: "Finally! The DNR came to an agreement with Cougar Cabins". But no, I was wrong again. .. (The more times you are wrong, the easier it gets to admit it ....)
Kelly

Skamania 231