Gonna do the Wild Rogue Loop

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
ghsmith76

Gonna do the Wild Rogue Loop

Post by ghsmith76 » March 29th, 2016, 3:37 pm

Not a lot of discussion about Southern Oregon trails so I thought I would throw out that I am planning to do the Wild Rogue Loop http://www.siskiyoumountainclub.org/wil ... wild-rogue the first week of May. Anybody have any experience with this area?
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

CampinCarl

Re: Gonna do the Wild Rogue Loop

Post by CampinCarl » March 29th, 2016, 4:11 pm

This is on my list, so consider me jealous. :D The only part I've done is on Panther Ridge... Hiked to Hanging Rock and set up camp off trail. There is a small stream for a water source a mile or so before Hanging Rock that should be flowing during your timeframe considering the good water year we've had so far, but may dry out later in the year.

My biggest warning is to watch out for poison oak... It can be thick down there. Also, road access from Glendale was a little complicated... It might actually be easiest to come at the loop from the west side at Illahe, perhaps others will chime in about that.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » March 30th, 2016, 9:15 am

I have not done it as a loop, but I have cabin-hopped from Graves Creek to Foster Bar three times in May (1994, 1997 & 2000). The upper section (Graves Creek to Paradise) was always in good condition, but slides sometimes presented issues on the section below Clay Hill. Poison oak is everywhere, but the trail is wide enough to avoid it. Ticks are numerous, and can't be avoided in the tall grass upstream from Rogue River Ranch. It can be damn hot on the first two trail days in early may - like in the 90s, but dry.

Places to see: Whiskey Cabin, Zane Grey Cabin, Rogue River Ranch/Museum, Mule Creek Canyon (the one on Mule Creek), Mule Creek Canyon (the one on the Rogue which you will pass, but take it all in), and Paradise.

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » April 6th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The advice about the Poison Oak and ticks has influenced me not to take my young dog. But other then that i think this trip looks like it will be great. I think we will use the Rogue River Trailhead near Illahe Campground and Foster Bar. I found a good BLM PDF GPS map to use on my Avenza iPhone app. It is listed in their store as the "Wild Rogue Wilderness"
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

Rancid9999

Post by Rancid9999 » April 7th, 2016, 9:44 am

Practice bear safe food storage. Rogue River is notorious for micro-cooties, use a safe drinking water protocol.