Three Sisters area.

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
hikin_mike1960

Three Sisters area.

Post by hikin_mike1960 » March 14th, 2016, 7:11 am

HI all,

I am looking for a three night night in the Three Sisters Area. Time frame will be early Septmeber. Any suggestions?

thanks
hikin_mike1960
Take a walk with Mother Nature and find peace.
http://www.takeawalkwithmothernature.com

retired jerry

Re: Three Sisters area.

Post by retired jerry » March 14th, 2016, 8:46 am

perfect time of the year

how many miles do you want to go?

there's some stuff in the field guide

hikin_mike1960

Post by hikin_mike1960 » March 14th, 2016, 11:31 am

Around 10 to 12 miles a day I think.
Take a walk with Mother Nature and find peace.
http://www.takeawalkwithmothernature.com

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 14th, 2016, 11:57 am

hiking around the Three Sisters is probably a bit longer than you wish - 48 miles

I like that "trail" that goes between the Middle and South Sisters. Kind of peters out for a mile below the lower Chamber Lake. So, you can go around the North and Middle Sisters or go around the South Sister. About 35 miles.

details in field guide. Make sure you read up on details if you go between South and Middle Sister because it's a bit tricky to find, but otherwise not too difficult

the trail over to Broken Top is nice. You can loop around it but the east side is through populated areas

the route between Camp Lake and the pass above Green Lakes is pretty adventurous - I doubt you'll see anyone else unless it's me :)

RobinB

Post by RobinB » March 14th, 2016, 5:49 pm

I'm with Jerry: if the trail around the Three Sisters is too long, the "Jan and Marcia Loop," around Middle and North, is fantastic.

The are east of the crest, from around Park Meadow north to Scott Pass, all good pretty burned in the Pole Creek fire, so if walking through dead trees bums you out, you can also loop around South Sister, and possibly summit it too, though that'll take a little bit more rout planning.

5th

Post by 5th » March 15th, 2016, 9:15 am

Can you shuttle or does it need to be a loop?

A shuttle option is to do the PCT from McKenzie Pass (hwy 242) to Elk Lake. Lots of great views and geology. Good variation in terrain. And it's the PCT, so you don't have any crazy-steep tread. Probably my fave stretch in the Three Sisters Wilderness.

That would be about 31.5 miles by my GPS tracks. You could extend that with a side trip in the Obsidian area (get your special permits for that well in advance) up to Arrowhead Lake (views to die for).

You could also head west at the Eileen Lake Trail to Eileen Lake, which is spectacular, then wind thru the trails south of that until you re-connect to the PCT at The Linton Meadows Trail. The detours here are better than the PCT IMO.

If you want harder and/or off-trail, you could make more miles early, and at the end you could continue on to Cougar Flats, cross-country to S. McFarland Lake (a gem), then take Crossing Way to it's trailhead for an out. This option brings the mileage to 53.4 miles, which is longer than the shortest Sisters Loop, but having done both a few times, this is the better hike IMO. You'll do a couple 15 mile days, plus some off-trail, but you will get more variation and solitude.

I'm definitely not the most experienced hiker here, but almost all my trail miles over the last 35 years have been in this area. I have GPS tracks and photos for everything I've done there in the last 3 years. I'd be happy to share what I know (like everyone around here, really).