Mirror Lake/ Tom Dick Harry

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
palegreenstarz

Mirror Lake/ Tom Dick Harry

Post by palegreenstarz » July 3rd, 2008, 5:20 pm

Howdy Ya'll-

Curious if anyone has attempted Mirror Lake to Tom Dick and Harry recently and had some conditions to report.

I'm guessing there is still a decent amount of snow up there. Does anyone think it should be achievable in standard hiking boots or are snowshoes still recommended?

Any info would be appreciated!

retired jerry

Re: Mirror Lake/ Tom Dick Harry

Post by retired jerry » July 3rd, 2008, 6:43 pm

Mirror Lake is at 4100'. Tom Dick and Harry Mountain is at 5000'.

A week ago I was on Hunchback Mountain a bit to the West and North of Mirror Lake and there was no snow at 4000' but I saw snow patches on the ridge higher up.

I'de think there is little or no snow at Mirror Lake but quite a bit on TDH mountain. The snow is consolidated enough you can just walk on it with boots, don't need snowshoes. Hard to find the trail when it's covered with snow.

zombie

Post by zombie » July 3rd, 2008, 8:20 pm

I was on Wildcat Mountain this morning (about 10 miles due West from there) and snow started at about 3900 and stayed solid on up on all but east facing slopes. My GPS was necessary to get where I needed to go!

I'm waiting for TD&H to be do-able this season as well...never been up there.

-aaron

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 3rd, 2008, 9:39 pm

I went to Mirror Lake and TD&H in December (hardly recent) and snowshoes weren't needed then even with a few feet of snow on the ground. The trail gets such heavy use (all the way to the top of the mountain) that, unless a foot or more of snow has fallen within the last 24 hours then you don't need anything other than hiking boots. This time of year the route should be very easy to follow, even where there is still snow.

palegreenstarz

Post by palegreenstarz » July 3rd, 2008, 10:16 pm

Thanks for the information!

Sounds like I may just have to give it a shot.

palegreenstarz

Post by palegreenstarz » July 5th, 2008, 6:25 pm

Thanks for the advice.

We ended up making it to the top without much of a problem. There are plenty of areas where you are walking on all snow, but the trail was pretty easy to follow. There were a few spots where we had to stop and find the pink flags which someone had hung in the trees, but pretty easy.

The unfortunate part is the fog/mist/drizzle was so thick we couldn't see much of anything from the peak.

Worth the trip though, and will try again on a clear day.

Water

Post by Water » July 9th, 2008, 11:56 pm

a snowpack's chance in downtown portland that there are any stealth/small spots anywhere towards the summit of TDH beyond Mirror lake? Looking for somewhere to camp, with a sunset/sunrise view of the mountain(s). Would consider Mt. Mitchell in WA but thats a bit longer drive than desired/Always want to try something new.

Other suggestions?
Feel Free to Feel Free

palegreenstarz

Post by palegreenstarz » July 10th, 2008, 5:16 am

I wouldn't say it's stealth, but there are a certainly a couple of camp sites at Mirror Lake. We didn't explore anywhere off the trail, so I'm not sure about other good spots along the way up to Tom Dick and Harry.