Fall Colors?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Alpenglow

Fall Colors?

Post by Alpenglow » October 8th, 2015, 7:32 pm

Just checking in to see if anyone is still finding some nice fall colors out there.
Looks like from the trip report that Timothy Lake has some beautiful reds.
I wonder if the higher elevations may be about over or if there are any spectacular Larch displays?
Dream as if you'll live forever...Live as if today's your last

pdxgene

Re: Fall Colors?

Post by pdxgene » October 8th, 2015, 9:37 pm

There are larch scattered around Timothy Lake and they hadn't started yet. It was the maples and ground stuff like huckleberry. Clear Lake (the real one, not the reservoir) and Proxy Falls should still be nice. Olallie seemed to be peaking back around Labor Day so I'm guessing that area and elevation (5,000) is mostly done.
It's about time for the low to mid level elevation yellows to really start kicking in. At least I'm planning my hikes the next couple weeks that way...lol...
Maybe Boulder Lake but between weekday logging closures the last 6 weeks back there and then the fire I haven't bothered to try and get back there.

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » October 9th, 2015, 1:25 pm

Has anyone been to Silver Falls State Park yet, how are the colors there?
I hope go take pictures in the next few weeks if the color is at or near it's peak.

FYI

There will be trail running races on both days on the weekend of Nov 7th and 8th, also a training run on Saturday Oct 24th at 8 am.
I was there taking pictures during last years race. It was crowded at times with runners, but I still managed to set up my tripod without being run over.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

walrus

Post by walrus » October 9th, 2015, 6:41 pm

rainrunner wrote:There will be trail running races on both days on the weekend of Nov 7th and 8th, also a training run on Saturday Oct 24th at 8 am.
I was there taking pictures during last years race. It was crowded at times with runners, but I still managed to set up my tripod without being run over.
I'll be running ;) Discovered the race by accident two years ago as I made my way upstream through a river of runners... The leaves were glorious, although last year was more muted. I'm guessing more of the same this year since we have a decided lack of crispness in the air. Sigh.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 11th, 2015, 5:02 pm

The larch are just starting to really light up in the Bitterroots, and the aspens are just hanging on. Took these yesterday, as we drove westward on I-90, nearing the Idaho border...

Should you want to make a real roadtrip out of it. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...