Suggestions for an overnight backpacking trip?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Jaimeapois

Suggestions for an overnight backpacking trip?

Post by Jaimeapois » August 19th, 2015, 11:56 am

Hi all,
I'm planning a Sunday-Monday backpacking trip and looking for suggestions on where to go. My last trip was to Upper Twin Lakes and that hit most of the criteria, which are:

-Within a 2ish hour drive from Portland
-4-8 mile hike in (moderate-intermediate)
-Somewhat secluded and not totally overrun with people, not drive-in accessible, no reservations required
-Scenic views
-Nearby lake, river, or ocean
-Other day hike possibilities (longer or harder) that you can do from the campsite
-Campfires allowed

Hit me with your best shot!

pdxgene

Re: Suggestions for an overnight backpacking trip?

Post by pdxgene » August 19th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Forget completely about campfires for now. They are not even being allowed out on the beach.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 19th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Siouxon Creek fits these requirements but no campfires allowed anywhere (and for good reason, since our state is on fire). Nice campsites are 4 miles in just over the new bridge on the way to Chinook Falls.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Jaimeapois

Post by Jaimeapois » August 19th, 2015, 9:18 pm

Siouxon Creek looks interesting, thanks for the suggestion.

I was also looking at a few places a little further south (Opal Creek, Battle Ax, McKenzie River, Three Fingered Jack) but are those spots going to be affected by the wildfire in Warm Springs?

Some other ideas were Burnt Lake, Serene Lake, and some spots on the NE side of Mt Hood (Cooper Spur, Elk Meadows, McNeil Point).

NW Yeti

Post by NW Yeti » August 19th, 2015, 10:19 pm

Jefferson Park via the PCT. Take Hwy 46 to the 4620, head east to TH. Camp near Russell Lake.
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 19th, 2015, 10:34 pm

Jaimeapois wrote:I was also looking at a few places a little further south (Opal Creek, Battle Ax, McKenzie River, Three Fingered Jack) but are those spots going to be affected by the wildfire in Warm Springs?
Three-Fingered Jack might be affected by the Warm Springs smoke IF the wind is blowing directly from the north. The other places you mentioned are on the west side of the Cascade crest and should be fine.

Jefferson Park is a good suggestion too, but is even closer to that fire. If you go, the route from the Breitenbush Lake Trailhead is the most scenic, but that road is beyond awful. Use the Whitewater Trailhead if you don't have a 4x4.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » August 20th, 2015, 12:54 pm

NW Yeti wrote:Jefferson Park via the PCT. Take Hwy 46 to the 4620, head east to TH. Camp near Russell Lake.
Under no circumstances should anybody attempt this hike without full knowledge of how terrible the road access. Driving the Skyline Road (FR4220) is pure misery unless you drive a high-clearance vehicle you don't mind scratching.

Jefferson Park is worth it but go another way unless you want to deal with the road.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Jaimeapois

Post by Jaimeapois » August 22nd, 2015, 12:46 am

How affected is the Siouxson Creek/ Gifford Pinchot area by the Mt Adams wildfire wrt air quality and haziness?

Thanks for the tips on Jefferson Park, looks a little close to the fire to try it out this time but I'll keep it in mind for my next trip.

walrus

Post by walrus » August 22nd, 2015, 5:15 am

I was at Siouxon yesterday - a cool, refreshing step away from the heat and madness. There was smoke haze in the gorge on Tuesday but I didn't notice any while we were there. Water low enough for dry crossings everywhere, but you may have an extra scramble/rock hop if they haven't finished rebuilding the first (West Creek?) bridge - a fun project to observe in the works. Similar work has been done at the 14 mile bridge, you can see where they cut trees and slabbed out boards for construction (and then used some of the extra work to pimp out the campsite... I'm guessing bridge builders are now fire fighters.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 22nd, 2015, 6:25 am

"2ish hour drive from Portland" and "Scenic views" and "nearby lake, river, or ocean" don't usually happen along with "somewhat secluded", although you have a somewhat better chance on a Sunday night than you would on a Friday or Saturday night.

Stop by Powell's and pick up a copy of Doulglas Lorain's book One Night Wilderness Portland, which has a lot of great suggestions for one-night backpacking trips in SW Washington and NW Oregon.

As pdxgene said, NO CAMPFIRES.