Car Camping Bend Area

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Subaruski

Car Camping Bend Area

Post by Subaruski » June 5th, 2015, 7:05 am

My wife and I have lived in Portland for almost 5 years now and have yet to make it out to Bend.

Had a Sat-Mon free up that is coming up soon so looking for good suggestions for a one nighter in the area.

Would like something that is close to a day hiking area. Other then that not many requirements.

I know, really broad question but hoping I can get a couple good suggestions. National Forrest service website just has so many options!
http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/deschut ... 0&actid=29

Thanks guys

olderthanIusedtobe

Re: Car Camping Bend Area

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » June 5th, 2015, 9:14 am

I stayed at one of the campgrounds at Paulina Lake several years ago, can't remember which one. It was nice. It was in September with crappy weather, so there weren't many other campers around. The 7 or 8 mile loop around Paulina was delightful.

I've utilized one of several very basic dispersed sites by Sparks Lake a couple times. It's not far from a boat launch area that has a restroom. There's a fee campground by Sparks that looked fairly cruddy to me. Haven't checked out any of the other campgrounds on that scenic lakes loop.

Not sure if it was on that list on the link above, but heading south from Sisters to the road end there's a couple campgrounds at Three Creeks Lake. I've stayed there and enjoyed it. Right by the trailhead for Tam McArthur Rim, one of my favorites in Central Oregon.

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 5th, 2015, 9:18 am

If you go to those areas, check the Current conditions report for the Deschutes NF. Some of the roads may still be gated and I think there is still substantial snow above 7000'.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/deschutes ... rdb5347630
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 5th, 2015, 10:59 am

Metolius River. A number of campgrounds. Nice trails. Might be hard to find site on weekend. You can reserve though.

Subaruski

Post by Subaruski » June 5th, 2015, 1:35 pm

Jerry, always there with good input :D

Only a few spots open at the following. Will have to do some quick google research.

-Santiam Flats
-Whispering Falls
-Humburg
-Cold Springs

retired jerry wrote:Metolius River. A number of campgrounds. Nice trails. Might be hard to find site on weekend. You can reserve though.

4DMTNS

Post by 4DMTNS » June 5th, 2015, 5:18 pm

I'm in agreement with Jerry, Metolius River has trails and nice campgrounds. Camp Sherman is the name to search on, most sites are not-reserveable so go early in the day ... the further north of Camp Sherman proper along FS14 are quieter and more secluded. They often fill last too. Good luck.
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow