Wolf creek train trestle hike

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Rubicon03

Wolf creek train trestle hike

Post by Rubicon03 » February 18th, 2015, 10:00 am

My wife and I are planning a thru hike from Cochran Pond (near Timber) to Wheeler (at the coast). I was wondering if anyone has ever done this hike along the old train tracks? We are thinking about leaving March 19. Any advice on this trip would be appreciated?

RobFromRedland

Re: Wolf creek train trestle hike

Post by RobFromRedland » February 18th, 2015, 5:20 pm

I did a shuttle hike from Cochran to Salmonberry a couple of years ago. At that time, there were parts that were relatively difficult to traverse due to the storm damage (washouts mostly). I've heard since then that there has been a lot more brush grown up, so the route is getting harder to get through. Going in March would be a good time since that is before stuff leafs out.

Just be prepared for off "trail" travel and rough conditions in places.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Koda

Post by Koda » February 18th, 2015, 5:37 pm

I think you mean to hike along the Salmonberry River train tracks?

I did a portion of this last year: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... almonberry

It was rainy when we did it and portions of the "trail" were in standing water. If your hiking in inclement weather and prefer dry feet, plan footwear accordingly. Some of the sections requires scrambling around washouts and you will get your feet wet crossing the Belding creek.

More detailed information about the entire trek can be found here: http://www.foresthiker.com/?page_id=165 this website has documented every portion of the hike.

Since last year I have learned that the railroad owner has rebuilt the lower part of the tracks and now run trains partially up the canyon. Im not certain how often or how far, but I'd assume as far up as Enright. So now I am not certain on the legality of hiking on the tracks. This subject has come up before here, if you do a search in the forum I recall one thread listing the railroad owner for contact info. Its also worth noting that the property around Enright is private and so youd be trespassing if you leave the tracks for that portion of the hike.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Rubicon03

Post by Rubicon03 » February 18th, 2015, 7:19 pm

So does anyone have an idea of the mileage from Cochran pond to Wheeler ?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » February 21st, 2015, 4:57 pm

Can you hike the railroad all the way to Wheeler? Traditionally, even when the railroad was operating hikers could do the stretch down the Salmonberry Canyon (Cochran to Salmonberry) only - that's about 16 miles one-way.