Monuments of Remembrance

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
rick6003

Monuments of Remembrance

Post by rick6003 » October 15th, 2014, 7:35 pm

I am wondering just how many Monuments or Plaques are there around Mt Hood?

I know of the ones on Split Rock, Cooper Spur and on the ridge up to Languille Crags.

there must be more.

mattisnotfrench

Re: Monuments of Remembrance

Post by mattisnotfrench » October 15th, 2014, 7:50 pm

rick6003 wrote:I am wondering just how many Monuments or Plaques are there around Mt Hood?

I know of the ones on Split Rock, Cooper Spur and on the ridge up to Languille Crags.

there must be more.
There's one over on Barlow Butte as well.
Barlow 017.jpg
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 15th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Fred McNeil..

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 15th, 2014, 10:37 pm

There are two on Cooper Spur: the Japanese one, and one with an airplane on it.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » October 17th, 2014, 8:55 am

There are three plaques on Cooper Spur. The two previous mention, plus a Mazama memorial on the rocky ridge just past the Japanese memorial. The Mazama plaque memorializes the two rope teams that fell from the climbing route into the Eliot Glacier, and it faces the glacier so you may not notice it on first pass.

The Sholes and Hardesty plaques at Paradise Park's split rock commemorate two early Mazama presidents. Hardesty was the organizer of the club's hiking program in 1912. Initially, these "local outings" made use of the street cars taking the group to the end of the line, and they hiked back to town. As trails were developed, the group made use of the trains to reach the trailhead on Saturday evening, and then hike on Sunday. Sholes was a climb leader who led routes that were previously unmapped which today we take for granted (especially with the internet topo tools).

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » October 25th, 2014, 6:46 am

Thanks guys,

I think I have seen the airplane one and Fred McNeil but can't place where on either.

Andee says there is one for her dad just past Timber Line Lodge on the Paradise Park trail but we have never saw it.

Hope to read about more....

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 29th, 2014, 7:17 am

There's also a plaque at the Top Spur TH, plus several DIY memorials where scattered remains have been laid to rest. I personally wish the latter weren't the case... better to just scatter and keep the memory as the place, itself.

There used to be a memorial under the old Texas lift... not sure if it survives.

Great idea for a thread!

Tom :)

klossner

Post by klossner » November 4th, 2014, 2:22 pm

rick6003 wrote:I think I have seen the airplane one and Fred McNeil but can't place where on either.
On adamschneider's page with a photo of the airplane plaque, you can click on the (click to map) link to see the spot on a topo map. Cool! A link like that on the page with the Japanese memorial photo would be great. I've seen it but all I remember is "high up on Cooper Spur". :-)

The Fred McNeil plaque is at the entrace to McNeil campground, just across the Sandy River on the road to Ramona Falls.

I'd love to know the locations of the plaques at Languille Crags and Barlow Butte.

Peder

Post by Peder » January 11th, 2015, 1:09 pm

Friday Karl and I came across this memorial for Robert Kern Potter (1923 - 2003) on the east side of Mt Hood. Note the pair of 50+ year old crampons at the foot of the ice ax.
The plaque on the ice axe reads:
Robert Kern Potter
September 5, 1923 - April 25, 2003
From his youth he climbed and skied this mountain, which he so loved. He was a gentle and honest man, committed to preserving Oregon's environment. He was a brave man and decorated combat pilot in two wars. He was a loving husband and father.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

airoff

Post by airoff » August 9th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Splintercat wrote:
October 29th, 2014, 7:17 am
There's also a plaque at the Top Spur TH, plus several DIY memorials where scattered remains have been laid to rest. I personally wish the latter weren't the case... better to just scatter and keep the memory as the place, itself.

There used to be a memorial under the old Texas lift... not sure if it survives.

Great idea for a thread!

Tom :)
I stumbled upon a plaque this weekend, which led me to this thread. I'm thinking it may be the one you've described under the old Texas lift, which is what it was still called last time I went skiing ;)
IMG_20210807_142311.jpg
IMG_20210807_143313__01.jpg