driving bennet pass road/gunsight butte (gumjuwac area)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Aimless

Re: driving bennet pass road/gunsight butte (gumjuwac area)

Post by Aimless » October 7th, 2019, 9:09 am

Yeah, when backing up there's no good way to 'pick a line' when the road is so rough a wrong move could tear out your oil pan. :(

Water

Post by Water » October 7th, 2019, 3:15 pm

removed
Last edited by Water on May 6th, 2020, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

drm

Post by drm » October 8th, 2019, 10:35 am

Hmmm - I wonder if all AWD systems are programmed to work in reverse? And even for traditional 4WD, there is no separate compound low. But then, if you're driving a tercel, you've got none of those in forward either.

Sure, I can imagine if a road is at the extreme limit for what a car can do, backing up would be a real problem for even the most skilled driver.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 8th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Water wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 3:15 pm
Sometimes like a technical climbing option, the best way down is to finish going up.
Yep. And just like climbing, a driver can get in deeper and deeper, wishing they had given up sooner. Nice analogy. Both climbing and driving, I've learned to constantly ask "can I safely back out"? If it's starting to get questionable, then it's time to reverse.
drm wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 10:35 am
Hmmm - I wonder if all AWD systems are programmed to work in reverse? And even for traditional 4WD, there is no separate compound low. But then, if you're driving a tercel, you've got none of those in forward either.
The old 4WD Tercel wagon (the one Jessie drove in Breaking Bad) took an interesting approach. On manual transmissions, first gear was extra low, and available only when in 4WD, thus providing a low gear without a transfer case. I think that was a great idea, but I bet it confused a lot of drivers.

Slightly related story, which I offer for your amusement, at the cost of my dignity:
I was going up a snowy hill in my 4WD automatic, reached the point where I decided it would be foolish to go higher, backed down, white knuckle all the way, nearly sliding out of control a couple times. When I reached bottom, I went to put it in Drive, and realized it already was! I had backed down in Drive! The torque converter is an amazing thing.

Water

Post by Water » October 9th, 2019, 11:37 am

removed
Feel Free to Feel Free