Loowit in a day - July 4th.

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
DoctorDee69

Loowit in a day - July 4th.

Post by DoctorDee69 » June 24th, 2014, 2:57 am

I'm planning to do the Loowit in a day in early July. I'm from the UK, and it's all new territory/trails to me. You guys were so informative and helpful when I did the Hood 360 last year, that I hoped I might pick your brains again.

It appears to be shorter, and have less ascent than the Timberline Trail, but perhaps the trail itself it technically more tricky underfoot?

Are any of the creek crossings likely to be challenging for a lone hiker in early July?
Do I need a permit to park - I read that I do, but can't find any more details.
CW or CCW - I'm figuring CW will enable me to get the Toutle out of the way sooner.

Anything else I should know or consider about this hike?

Many thanks in anticipation of any advice you can give.
Last edited by DoctorDee69 on June 24th, 2014, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Peterson

Re: Loowit in a day - July 4th.

Post by Eric Peterson » June 24th, 2014, 6:06 am

The biggest difference between the Timberline Trail 360 and the Loowit 360 is the lava fields on the Loowit.

Hood 360 is so much softer underfoot over all.

Both loops have a CascadeHiker bomber route option if hiked CCW, which is kind of weird :?

The Loowits shortest approach trails, Climbers Bivouac and June Lake, both put you pretty much in the middle
of the lave fields, so no matter the direction hiked you still have to end the arduous day crossing a lava field.
That said, CCW, has you crossing the lava fields more or less in a down hill direction.

Haven't hiked this one in a few years now, so I'm getting into that territory of 'what have you done for me lately', but if I get a chance to get out there again I will go for CCW as I've hiked it in both directions and
ending the day going up hill across lava fields didn't seem very foot friendly :)

Let me know if you need a solid track for the Toutle River area crossing etc...

DoctorDee69

Post by DoctorDee69 » June 24th, 2014, 6:51 am

Am I being dumb? If I start on the June Lake trail, the last 6-8 km will be downhill whichever direction I take? At least, that's what this elevation profile says to me.

http://gpsfly.org/a/1663

am I missing something?
Eric Peterson wrote:Both loops have a CascadeHiker bomber route option if hiked CCW, which is kind of weird :?
As I mentioned I'm a foreigner, so not 100% sure what a Cascade Hiker Bomber route is. But if (on TT) you mean the Muddy Fork cutoff - then Guy told me about it last year, and I did it CW following GPS traces from your 9/8/12 trip.

My report of that trip is here: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... hp?t=17051
Eric Peterson wrote:Let me know if you need a solid track for the Toutle River area crossing etc...
I'd appreciate any GPS trace. I keep my trip times down by not stopping unless absolutely necessary. I eat on foot, and rely heavily on GPS to save time route/trail finding, and carry maps just for emergencies.

I'd also be very interested to see what the bomber route option is and whether I could emulate last year, and do it CW.

--
Marcus

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » June 24th, 2014, 7:21 am

:lol: No, you're not being dumb!

CW direction from June Lake seemed to have more uphill lava fields to hike through around the
Ape Canyon Trail area towards the end of the hike than when going CCW. I probably just imagined
it since either direction has the exact same elevation gain/loss :D

awildman

Post by awildman » June 24th, 2014, 8:00 am

DoctorDee69 wrote:Anything else I should know or consider about this hike?
There is virtually no shade, so it gets very hot. An overcast day would be ideal for a 360.

It's gritty and dusty; lightweight gaiters will help keep the grit out of your shoes.

There are very few (clear) water sources. Many of the main drainages are either underground or extremely silty. Watch trip reports as the time nears for where the best water sources will be. They can change daily.

The trail is either very slow or very fast. You can make up time on the north and east side (Plains of Abraham), but going through the lava fields on the east and south sides will slow you down. The canyons will slow you down a little, too, depending on the state of them.

Routefinding can be tricky in the fog, particularly in the lava fields where the route depends on embedded posts. A good GPS track will help you, but it will still require using good sense to pick your way through the fields safely.

Crossing the breach can be a little hairball. We did it last year on a very hot day, which meant brown chocolaty water and large rocks being swept through. Three companions were struck by rocks as they crossed. Pick a good route and hustle across if you have the same conditions.

This is an amazing trail - one of my favorites! Have a great trip and post your report when you're safely off the mountain!
Rambling on at Allison Outside

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » June 24th, 2014, 8:45 am

There are two recent Loowit in a Day trip reports on the site currently. I saw you already read Sean's and commented. Both provide important information to read prior to this hike, I think. Craig's cautionary tail below should give you some additional information you might find useful.

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=19194

Best of luck, and enjoy your hike in our beautiful state!
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

DoctorDee69

Post by DoctorDee69 » June 25th, 2014, 6:50 am

sprengers4jc wrote:I think. Craig's cautionary tail below should give you some additional information you might find useful.
My problem, always is that I read other people's accounts, and worry that I won't be able to make it round quickly enough. Previous experience has shown me that I always (so far) can. Craig says he lead four strong hikers, and I hesitate to presume that I am any stronger.

Hiking solo always present a slightly higher risk, in the unlikely event of something going wrong. And I do not like hiking solo in the dark.

Not going to let any of that deter me though. Looking forward to this hike now...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 25th, 2014, 9:48 am

DoctorDee69 wrote:Hiking solo always present a slightly higher risk, in the unlikely event of something going wrong. And I do not like hiking solo in the dark.
You should be aware, too, that cellphone service is nearly 100% non-existant along that loop. You might catch a signal on the north side, but it'd be sketchy. Otherwise, I'm not even sure I've found one on the summit, there, and certainly not on the south, west or east sides.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

DoctorDee69

Post by DoctorDee69 » June 29th, 2014, 6:35 am

Sorry folks, one (last?) question.

I'm doing this on July 4th, which I realise is an important national holiday for you guys. Will this mean that I am likely to see more folks on the trail - because there is a long weekend for backpacking. Or will I be less likely to see anyone, because everyone will be at celebration events rather than hiking?

Silly question, but despite having been to the states scores of times, I have no idea how you celebrate July 4.

--
Marcus

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 29th, 2014, 6:54 am

campgrounds will be full

more people hiking but the spaces are large so it doesn't seem too crowded. You'll pass more people but maybe they will be opportunities for friendly exchanges

don't even think of going to busy places like Eagle Creek though

I will likely be out somewhere. I will time it so Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights I'm further away from any trailhead and avoid busier camp areas