Newton creek crossing?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
[email protected]

Newton creek crossing?

Post by [email protected] » June 21st, 2014, 12:38 pm

Has anyone been up the Elk Meadow Trail (Mt.Hood) and across Newton Creek? how is the crossing?

retired jerry

Re: Newton creek crossing?

Post by retired jerry » June 21st, 2014, 1:10 pm

4600 feet elevation - shouldn't be any snow there. No snow bridges to cross on.

A lot of snow melt so the flow should be heavy.

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » June 21st, 2014, 7:43 pm

I hiked to Elk Mountain June 15. The trail was clear until the top of the ridge above Elk Meadow. I would think most of the snow on the Elk Meadow Trail from the high point down to Elk Meadow will have melted in the past week. There were about 10 trees across the trail. Creek flows were surprisingly low, although last weekend was quite a bit cooler.

The Bluegrass Ridge trail still had heavy snow on it near Elk Mountain.

Here's a photo of the Elk Meadow/Bluegrass Ridge/Gnarl Ridge trail intersection from June 15.

Happy trails.

I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » June 22nd, 2014, 2:06 pm

BurnsideBob wrote:I hiked to Elk Mountain June 15. The trail was clear until the top of the ridge above Elk Meadow. I would think most of the snow on the Elk Meadow Trail from the high point down to Elk Meadow will have melted in the past week. There were about 10 trees across the trail. Creek flows were surprisingly low, although last weekend was quite a bit cooler.

The Bluegrass Ridge trail still had heavy snow on it near Elk Mountain.

Here's a photo of the Elk Meadow/Bluegrass Ridge/Gnarl Ridge trail intersection from June 15.

Happy trails.

Thanks for the info.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 22nd, 2014, 9:05 pm

We hiked up the Newton Creek Trail today (June 22) but scouted the crossing at newton creek to elk meadows. There is a bridge made of several small logs. It looked okay if you don't mind crossing that sort of thing. Slightly downriver from that fairly wide channel has carved spreading the water into a wide but shallower section. Somebody had built a cairn at that crossing. Sorry, no photos . . . What was I thinking?

Additional information, we hiked Newton Creek Trail to the intersection with the Timberline Trail. there were patches of snow, not really noteworthy, several trees blown down but easy to climb over or go around. The trail is in otherwise good condition except for some small areas where the trail comes very close to the edge. We could see the Timberline trail soon became snow filled as it went around the mountain toward Mt. Hood Meadows.

We met some hikers who went up to Lamberson Butte and reported that there was a lot of snow there (6 feet in places). They found the crossing on the upper Newton Creek surprisingly easy and reported they hopped across three boulders. But everybody has their own definition of easy. Just a reminder this is second hand information and we did not see it. :)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir