looking for short/easy hikes, Eugene and Corvallis

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
datura

looking for short/easy hikes, Eugene and Corvallis

Post by datura » March 14th, 2014, 7:48 am

We're visiting Oregon during the last week of March. Although most of our time is booked, we have some short periods available to do a bit of hiking.

I think we will return to the Macleay trail in Forest Park while we're in Portland. That is a trail that we have done before and enjoy. Depending on the time available, we might get to another trail in Forest Park, maybe a stretch on one of the northern reaches of the Wildwood, or maybe we'll have enough time to do one of the closer waterfall trails in the Gorge. I have hopes that we can get to the Oregon Badlands Wilderness while in Bend. I don't think we'll have time to get to the coast during this visit.

I'm looking for trail suggestions while we're in Eugene and Corvallis, something that is either in or very close to those towns, or with convenient access to I-5 between there and Portland.

My preferences: less than 5-ish miles round trip, and preferably less than 2-3-ish miles. Suitable for hikers who will not have hiking boots or heavy-duty raingear. A few family members have asked for "trees", by which I think they mean the conifer-plus-ferny-underbrush forests that the PNW is known for. (They really liked the Macleay Trail when I took them there the last time we were in Portland, for example.) I would prefer nothing that is likely to have ticks or excessive mosquitoes.

I've looked through the Willamette Valley section of the Field Guide, but am wondering if there are hikes in particular you'd recommend or hikes you know of that are not in the Field Guide.

Thank you!

cfm

Re: looking for short/easy hikes, Eugene and Corvallis

Post by cfm » March 14th, 2014, 9:45 am

In Corvallis I recommend a trip up to Dimple Hill in the Mac Forest.

In between, the Finley Wildlife Refuge

In Eugene- Pisgah Arboretum and Spencer's Butte

near Eugene- the Fall River Trail, the McKenzie River Trail, or the Sweet Creek Trail

datura

Post by datura » March 14th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Thanks!

Oh, wow, the Sweet Creek trail looks totally awesome. Unfortunately, I think the driving time to and from the trail is going to exceed our available free time that day. I'm definitely putting this on my list for our next visit!

Spencer's Butte looks like a good choice if the clouds aren't too thick. The Finley refuge looks like another good choice for us -- I didn't realize that some trails were open year-round and thought it was closed until April.

The other recommendations look great for either this trip or a future trip.

Thank you so much for your advice!

jessbee

Post by jessbee » March 14th, 2014, 6:54 pm

In Corvallis, Bald Hill park has lots of short hike options. Also Marys Peak East Ridge or drive to the top of the road and do the Meadows Edge Loop. Great views from the summit on a clear day.

Jackson Frazier Wetland has a pretty one mile loop trail if you need a quick walk in town.

Living in Corvallis, I spend lots of time in the parks here. Feel free to ask more specific questions :)

Have fun!
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

datura

Post by datura » March 15th, 2014, 4:17 am

Thank you for the additional suggestions! They look like wonderful options for us. It's good to have several possibilities to choose from depending on the weather, the available time, and the mood of the younger family members.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » March 16th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Another vote for the Spencer's Butte / Ridge Line trail system in Eugene. Here's a map (PDF). I like to start at the 52nd and Willamette Trailhead and make my way up to the Butte, though all the trails in that area are pretty nice.