Water sources near Cooper Spur Shelter...

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mjuliana

Water sources near Cooper Spur Shelter...

Post by mjuliana » August 1st, 2013, 3:32 pm

Hey Everyone -
This forum is great and is feeding my desire to get out every weekend. This weekend will be four in a row... Last weekend, I took the family out to Elk Meadows but we did not get the chance to get all the way up to Gnarl Ridge. This weekend I'm going to go out solo on an overnight backpacking trip to see more of the area.

My plan is to hike in to the Cooper Spur Shelter on Friday on the Polallie Creek Trail and camp in the vicinity of the shelter. I'll spend later Friday going further up Cooper Spur and then on Saturday I'll explore down the Timberline Trail towards Gnarl Ridge.

I know there is reliable water source at Tilley Jane from the Tilley Jane Creek. My map shows that this same creek flows across the Timberline Trail just north of the Cooper Spur shelter. I just want to confirm that it really still exists that high and I should expect it to still be flowing...

Also, I've identified where Splintercat's unmarked stream is north of Lamberson Butte so I think I can use that on Saturday.

I really don't want to carry 1 1/2 days of water up from Tilley Jane if I don't have to.
Thanks,
Mike J