Suggestions for 4-5 nights, similar to Eagle Cap?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
awildman

Re: Suggestions for 4-5 nights, similar to Eagle Cap?

Post by awildman » June 6th, 2013, 10:57 am

I would recommend the high country in Olympic National Park (no dogs, permits), Mt. Margaret Backcountry on Mt. St. Helens (no dogs, permits), Mt. Adams, or Goat Rocks. All are within 3-4 hours drive of Portland. As always, I would have a Plan B for wildfires.
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Hoosier Hiker

Post by Hoosier Hiker » June 6th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Thanks Beaverdawg and Allison. Mt. Margaret backcountry is a new one for me, I'll look into that. This entry at summitpost

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-margare ... try/565462

calls the Whittier Ridge "a fun scramble!" Hey Allison, based on your past experiences, any idea how that ridge compares to Helvellyn Striding Edge in the Lake District? (And BeaverDawg, maybe you've been there and can compare?) That summitpost entry also says camping only at designated areas, each with a solar composting toilet! Wow, that's the cushy backpacking experience.
Last edited by Hoosier Hiker on June 6th, 2013, 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 6th, 2013, 12:44 pm

You asked about suitability for your dog.

If you're considering the Three Sisters Loop, several trip reports I've seen said they were sorry they took their dogs. The pumice does bad things to their paws and there are some longish dry stretches. Check trip reports for that loop for the past 2-3 years. A special permit is required if you enter or exit via the Obsidian Trail. My understanding (which may be faulty) is that you don't need one if you enter/exit from the Deschutes NF side.

The Timberline Trail might also be iffy for a dog because of the rushing glacial streams needing to be crossed. If the dog goes off his feet, that's all she wrote, since several of those streams have waterfalls below. The possible crossings of Eliot Creek might be too much for a dog, too.

As for the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, you are either in the very crowded I-90 section (it's to Seattle as Mt. Hood is to Portland) or you have to drive to US2 (Stevens Pass highway). Either way, Portlanders are best driving north on US 97 and approaching from the east side to avoid Seattle traffic (distance about the same and time may be less). As for dogs, leashes are required for most of the ALW. I kept mine on leash most of the time anyway so this wasn't an issue for me.

An ALW trip I always wanted to do was to the "Mormon" lakes. Entrance is up the Icicle River from Leavenworth. This is just north of the Enchantments but out of the special permit area.

If you don't mind driving a little bit farther, the classic loop in the Glacier Peaks Wilderness is the Spider Meadow/Lyman Lakes/Image Lake/Buck Creek Pass loop. The entrance is at the end of the Chiwawa River Road north of Lake Wenatchee. I did this trip way back in 1987 and really want to do it again. Back then I was staggering under a 50 lb. pack and left my camera home to save weight. It will be far easier with 22-23 pounds including camera! The one possibly tricky part is the long snowfield from Spider Pass down to Upper Lyman Lake. In August afternoons, though, the snow should be nice and soft. Again, this might be a little tricky with dog.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 6th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Hoosier Hiker wrote:calls the Whittier Ridge "a fun scramble!" Hey Alison, based on your past experiences, any idea how that ridge compares to Helvellyn Striding Edge in the Lake District?
Heh, for a mountain goat, it may be a fun scramble. For most mortals, well... Here's a memorable trip report by some of the locals. This one wouldn't be dog friendly, at all.
Hoosier Hiker wrote:That summitpost entry also says camping only at designated areas, each with a solar composting toilet! Wow, that's the cushy backpacking experience.
I think most of them come with a view, too! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Hoosier Hiker

Post by Hoosier Hiker » June 6th, 2013, 12:55 pm

A special permit is required if you enter or exit via the Obsidian Trail. My understanding (which may be faulty) is that you don't need one if you enter/exit from the Deschutes NF side.

Thanks, Granny. You've answered a question I was going to post. Maybe. Can somebody confirm that a special day-use permit is NOT needed for Obsidian area if I'm just going to hike through after entering from a different trailhead? I would assume that one would be needed, however, if I were going to stop and set up camp for the night.

Thanks for the tips on dogs. I almost had one of them get swept away in Hurricane Creek (Wallowas) a few years ago.

Hoosier Hiker

Post by Hoosier Hiker » June 6th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Karl, thanks for the link to the great TR. Yeah, that looks hairy. I know there is no way my hiking buddy would do it, and the photos give me second thoughts.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 6th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Hoosier Hiker wrote:Karl, thanks for the link to the great TR. Yeah, that looks hairy. I know there is no way my hiking buddy would do it, and the photos give me second thoughts.
Don't want to scare ya out of the Backcountry! But that ridge is something to be aware of before committing to it. There are other options up there, though. It's way up there on my "favorite places in the world" list! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

BeaverDawg

Post by BeaverDawg » June 6th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Here is a trip report I did in 2009 for a small section for the backcountry and half of the Whittier traverse. We did not have any problems securing a permit.

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... php?t=3076

R11

Post by R11 » June 7th, 2013, 2:46 pm

retired jerry wrote:So, what's a good hike in Alpine Lakes that's not Enchantments?
- Robin lakes, Trico/Granite mts
- Marmot/No Name/Jade lakes
- Peggy's Pond, Mt Daniel SE ridge
- Ingalls Lake
- Necklace Valley, La Bohn/Chain/Tank Lakes
- Spectacle/Glacier/Chikamin Lakes
- Rampart Lakes

With so many people hiking these days most of of these places can get very crowded in summer when they're melted out, so I would really only recommend going to them during the week if at all possible. But they are all very cool alpine spots to see and explore. If you have never been you owe it to yourself to check them out.

ron

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 7th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Thanks Ron

I was thinking of going to Marmot or Robin Lake in August on weekend with brother and nephew.

Sounds like it would be pretty crowded. Poor nephew has to work so would rather go on weekend, maybe take a Friday or Monday off.

Maybe Surprise Creek or Deception Creek from highway 2 would be less crowded? Probably not because same distance from Seattle.

Maybe Lake Mary or Margaret from the end of the Icycle Creek Road would be better? Further drive from Seattle.