Suggestions for 4-5 nights, similar to Eagle Cap?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Hoosier Hiker

Suggestions for 4-5 nights, similar to Eagle Cap?

Post by Hoosier Hiker » June 5th, 2013, 9:56 am

Hi Everybody--

Looking for suggestions for a mid-August 4-5 night backpack. To give you an idea of what I'm up for, last August did part of the lakes Basin in Eagle Cap (TR here: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=13179), and the summer before the Enchantments up by Leavenworth, WA. So, I don't mind some elevation gain and distance, but I'm not looking for anything technical or too grueling. 8-12 miles in a day is enough, and the option to stay more than one night at a nice location and day hike is good.

Ideally, I'd like to it to be a shorter drive from Portland than the last two hikes, maybe no more than 3-4 hours? A loop is always best, of course, but I would consider an in/out or shuttle. Mostly I would just like for it to be pretty, remote and not too crowded. Haven't decided yet if I'm taking my dog, but comments on whether it's a dog-friendly hike (mostly, I'm worried about traps left from the winter) would be appreciated.

Edit: I've only done day hikes around Bend, a suggestion in that area would be nice.

Thanks!

Greg

retired jerry

Re: Suggestions for 4-5 nights, similar to Eagle Cap?

Post by retired jerry » June 5th, 2013, 10:20 am

Walk around Mt Hood or Three Sisters - either of those would be good

Mt Hood has that crossing of the Eliot which might turn you off - look at field guide and trip reports - TRs from last year would be good for evaluating this year

Hoosier Hiker

Post by Hoosier Hiker » June 5th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Thanks, Jerry. I like the Three Sisters idea a lot. But I'd still welcome more ideas from others, even if they end up being future trips!

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » June 5th, 2013, 6:02 pm

oooo.... Goat Rocks in Washington. It's about 3 hours from Portland. We camped at Snowgrass and day-hiked from there. Mid-week is better, since there will be fewer people, but what great views. Melt-out seems to be a bit earlier this year than last, and we were there mid-Aug last summer, although in 2011 it still wasn't open mid-Aug if I remember right. Loops aren't as easy to work out but... so worth it. The fields of lupine.... wow.
Kelly

drm

Post by drm » June 6th, 2013, 7:03 am

Since you mentioned Eagle Cap and the Enchantments as an example, I figure you're looking for that kind of terrain: granitic mountains with high altitude lake basins, as opposed to the volcanic mountains more typical in these parts. So other parts of the Alpine Lakes Basin in Washington (which the Enchantments are also in) is the next best thing, as well as doing other parts of the Wallowas.

All such areas a very popular in August so solitude requires some good route planning and probably some rough hiking. Some trailheads may be within the 3-4 hours from Portland and it's all national forest so I think dogs are allowed. There are a variety of loops possible.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 6th, 2013, 7:18 am

So, what's a good hike in Alpine Lakes that's not Enchantments?

Hoosier Hiker

Post by Hoosier Hiker » June 6th, 2013, 7:24 am

Thanks Kelly. Goat Rocks was on the radar, although I neglected to mention. Appreciate the thumbs up, you're the second person who has recommended. And Dean, I would happily go back to the Wallowas anytime, but looking for a shorter drive from Portland this year.

drm

Post by drm » June 6th, 2013, 9:26 am

I haven't done enough to personally recommend a route in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, but the backpacking guidebooks by Lorain or Romano both suggest numerous routes in the area. The closest trailheads are off I90 - I think that's a bit closer than the Wallowas. Also, some trailheads in the Cle Elum area lead into it. Note that the area is famous both for tons of people and some parts for even more tons of mosquitoes, though August is after the worst of that. So you need to do your research. Romano sometimes posts here so maybe he can elaborate - if he isn't on the trail. But that's probably your best shot for Sierra-like terrain closer than the Wallowas.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 6th, 2013, 9:33 am

thanks

BeaverDawg

Post by BeaverDawg » June 6th, 2013, 10:51 am

You may want to consider the Mt. Margaret Backcountry north of Mt. St. Helens. There is a permit system that keeps the overnight crowd to a low level. The backcountry itself is not that large so if you need 4-5 nights you can tack that onto a trip circumnavigating St. Helens itself. The backcountry is very rugged and one of our favorites - lots of lakes, some very challenging ridge walks (Mt. Whittier trail would be scary to carry a backpack over in my opinion so you'd better research that one first) and plenty of animals.