Lewis River conditions?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Sore Feet

Lewis River conditions?

Post by Sore Feet » June 24th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Anyone been up 90 recently? FS website hasn't been updated for 2 weeks and their description is spotty at best ("Open to Lower Falls CG and Quartz Cr TH, major landslide in the area). Anyone have any firsthand snowpack info? Oldman Pass area, closeness of FR 25 to opening, etc.?

drm

Re: Lewis River conditions?

Post by drm » June 25th, 2008, 6:22 pm

I was told that 25 wasn't very close a couple of weeks ago. I was also told that major construction is planned this year and so it will be closed most of the summer, even when the snow is gone. No weekend openings like they had on it last year. The closure locale will be well north of 90 I think. You'll have to go via the north side to get to Windy Ridge.

jaimito

Post by jaimito » June 27th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Brian I am camping up that way on July 11th ( paradise creek ) and have plans to do the tour around that area, Indian Heaven, Lewis River, Curly Creek, Rush Creek etc etc… so I'll let you know. But I assume that might be too late for you? Are you trying to go sooner?

I have a friend who just went up wind river hwy. to the lower lewis river campground and they had no problems, bit you'd be coming down through Randall right?

Anyways keep me posted… Jamie

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » June 27th, 2008, 11:49 pm

Well after seeing what info has been updated on the FS website, I'm delaying my plans to be in the Lewis area until probably at least mid-July. Gonna stay on the north side of St. Helens this weekend where I know the roads are clear. I'm mainly interested in poking around in the Quartz Creek and very upper part of the Lewis River drainages and then over towards the White Salmon headwaters, so I suspect it'll take at least another 3 weeks for that area to melt out properly.