Isolated Fishing?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
terryjassen

Isolated Fishing?

Post by terryjassen » July 19th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Hey there,

I'm looking to do a short backpacking trip (2 nights and 3 days). I'd really like to find a body of water where I can do some fishing and let the dog swim without being disturbed. So, maybe a body of water that requires a little bit of effort to get to so that it is not too crowded? I'd love for the surrounding area to be beautiful of course - but mainly I want to avoid other people.

Also, I'm in Portland and I'd like to keep the drive under 3 hours if possible.

Thanks guys!

mattisnotfrench

Re: Isolated Fishing?

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 19th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Any lake not on major trail will probably work. If you go off-trail you likely won't see anybody and will be free to do as you please. If you don't mind mosquitoes, the Olallie Lake area has dozens (maybe hundreds) of lakes, most of which aren't used all that much. It's a beautiful area well worth the 2 hour 15 minute drive.

If you do mind mosquitoes there won't be too many places in the mountains you will find comfortable this time of year.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 23rd, 2012, 1:49 pm

And if you're a dry fly addict, the fish are more apt to be jumping when those mosquitoes are busy! Take repellent and a headnet, and perhaps permithrin-spray your clothing ahead of time.

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » July 24th, 2012, 7:48 am

I have fond memories of Martin lake and Summit lake up by Three Finger Jack. Mosquitos weren't bad up there but by Round and Square lakes terrible and they don't bother me much often.

Martin had some nice brookies and Summit has Golden Trout but no bites that day.

Got the names wrong but good thing for maps, I fixed the names.

terryjassen

Post by terryjassen » July 27th, 2012, 9:00 pm

Is the twin lakes area generally crowded? Someone suggested it - but I don't know much about the area.

christabrews

Post by christabrews » September 30th, 2022, 7:16 pm

rick6003 wrote:
July 24th, 2012, 7:48 am

Martin had some nice brookies and Summit has Golden Trout but no bites that day.
Resurrecting this really old thread. Summit has Golden Trout?? That's a species I still haven't caught. I've been to Summit lake a couple times (not fishing) and didn't see any rises. But it was warm out, so maybe there are fish still...?