Snow conditions on passes in Eagle Cap Wilderness

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Traveller

Snow conditions on passes in Eagle Cap Wilderness

Post by Traveller » July 18th, 2012, 5:59 pm

I am hoping to do a weeklong trip in the Eagle Cap Wilderness starting the weekend of July 28. My plan is to go up East Eagle Creek, over Horton Pass, and into the Lakes Basin. I also hope to go up to Glacier Lake, and over Hawkins Pass into the South Fork Imnaha River Valley. Does anyone know what the snow conditions currently are over the high passes in that area? I called the ranger station in Joseph earlier today, and they couldn't really give me any details. They said the passes were still snowy, but that's about it... I'm not afraid of a bit of snow, but I'd like to know how passable Horton and Hawkins passes are (With microspikes? With bare boots? Only with crampons and ice axe? Not passable at all?). Has anyone bee out there recently? Thank you!

AndyPandy

Re: Snow conditions on passes in Eagle Cap Wilderness

Post by AndyPandy » July 18th, 2012, 8:56 pm

I was up in that area at the beginning of the month. If you use the search function on my name you can find it easy enough. The snow was pretty firm; with a full pack I would have used my microspikes.

drm

Post by drm » July 19th, 2012, 9:12 am

I'm hoping to do the West Eagle Loop July 27-30, which involves crossing 8400 foot Wonker Pass. I'm taking my GPS and traction devices and hoping for the best. Shaded north-facing slopes are the most likely places where larger snowfields will persist.

The forest service finally posted at update on conditions here just today, but it has no details about conditions on the passes. Maybe somebody is there now and will post a report during next week.

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » July 19th, 2012, 11:30 am

I'm going to be in that neck of the woods at the same time. Starting in Cornucopia, up Pine Ck, past Crater L, up E. Eagle and over Horton Pass, through Lakes Basin, down W. Fork Wallowa River to Wallowa Lake for a resupply, then back to Cornucopia via Android L., Polaris Pass, Hawkins Pass, S. Fork Imnaha and Norway Ck. I'm not sure about conditions on the passes, but I'm taking microspikes.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » July 23rd, 2012, 7:47 am

Thank you all for those answers! I appreciate the advice. I guess I'll just pack my microspikes and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again!

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » July 23rd, 2012, 1:15 pm

I just spoke with a ranger. I'm planning a trip this coming weekend. Our intent was to start at Two Pan, hike to Steamboat Lake and Minam Meadows, then cross Wilson Pass back to the road. Or secondary plan was to reach Lakes Basin and scout around. I was told it's a late melt and my plan is "a little early." Here's the details:

From Two Pan, the trail is snow-free to Sky Lake. The trail is snow-covered from there, so much that rangers don't know that anyone made it to Steamboat or North Minam Meadows. From the Bowman TH, people have reached Wilson Pass. I don't know if that means Chimney L. and Hobo L. are accessible.

Trekking poles were recommended, traction devices would be wise.

In Lakes Basin, Mocassin and Mirror Lake should be snow-free (patchy, at worst) and people have made it over Glacier Pass. It sounds like Lakes Basin is pretty open, with Horton Pass accessible (I wasn't planning on going that way, so no info on the route to Eagle Cap Summit. Carper Pass is also snowbound.

No report on bloodsucking insects.

I called one of the ranger stations (Eagle Cap, I believe) at 541-426-5546, and the person I spoke with was very helpful. My intuition tells me that the conditions described are accurate and quite recent, but also on the side of safety; I got the sense that the ranger was cautious about conditions because she didn't know my experience level. If that's the case (and it's likely), then this coming weekend will be right at the tipping point for snowmelt. I'm sure a lot of north-facing passes and slopes will take longer, and creeks will be raging with questionable snow-bridges, but the forecast for Lakes Basin is daytime highs of 70 or so, with overnight lows in the upper 40's. That's not going to speed things up too much.

If we still go, I'll post a report. In all likelihood, we won't attempt a loop, but will set up a basecamp or two and scout around. Finger's crossed...

drm

Post by drm » July 23rd, 2012, 2:52 pm

Jason,

The report from Ice Lake looked like it was mostly melted out, and that was almost 3 weeks ago. And the snotel at Aneroid Lake melted to zero in late June.

Since your options are both going from near Two Pan, I think you should try and get there and leave a little time to look for people hiking out and ask them. If conditions are like that, then everybody may be cramming into the Lakes Basin because you don't have to cross a pass to get there.

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » July 23rd, 2012, 4:32 pm

drm wrote:Jason,

The report from Ice Lake looked like it was mostly melted out, and that was almost 3 weeks ago. And the snotel at Aneroid Lake melted to zero in late June.

Since your options are both going from near Two Pan, I think you should try and get there and leave a little time to look for people hiking out and ask them. If conditions are like that, then everybody may be cramming into the Lakes Basin because you don't have to cross a pass to get there.
Good idea. I saw that report. One of the photos from the Matterhorn summit showed snow throughout Lakes Basin. Should be pretty clear now.

We'll get there late Thursday night, hope to find a campsite before hitting the trail Friday. Should give us time to scout around and ask folks.

As for Lakes Basin, I highly doubt anyone else will be there. No one knows about it, right? ;)

Slugman

Post by Slugman » July 23rd, 2012, 9:28 pm

I'm going up this weekend, was hoping to do West Fork Lostine to Minam lake and Blue lake, then jump over to the lakes basin and then to Glacier lake and back, then back out the E fk Lostine. The conditions update for the W Fk doesn't sound good, but then I have first hand knowledge of how the Wallowa RD overplays the snow angle. Last year I got dire warnings about snow at Dollar lake, yet when I got there I was barely able to chill a cocktail. Still, I think I'll go up the E fork Lostine, that way if the pass above Upper lake isn't making me happy, at least I'll be trapped on the good side. I have off Thursday to Tuesday, but the drive to/from Seattle eats up a good chunk of that.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 24th, 2012, 5:43 am

I'm doing the same loop (Lostine) except probably other direction in mid August. Please update when you get back.