Looking for a good hike-in/float out route (packraft)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
tonkhero

Looking for a good hike-in/float out route (packraft)

Post by tonkhero » July 17th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Hi folks,
I'm new to the area, planning a trip, and hoping to tap some of your extensive local knowledge.

I'm looking for a 3-4 day route where a buddy and I could hike in, then float out a river on packrafts. We're experienced backpackers and wilderness travelers, but novice boaters. So the river can't be any harder than Class II. The hike in could be anything, but some wilderness quality would be great.

Have spent a bunch of time online and with guidebooks, and haven't really figured out a great spot. The wilderness rivers are too hard, and the easy ones don't have good hiking.

Any/all ideas or suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: Looking for a good hike-in/float out route (packraft)

Post by retired jerry » July 18th, 2012, 5:22 am

Deschutes River

I think it has some class III though - but I'm not really into that so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Check out the field guide (click on "field guide" above) and there's a link to the boaters guide

Chase

Post by Chase » July 18th, 2012, 10:57 am

Maybe look into Washington Rivers (Skookumchuck, Cowlitz, et al) and hikes in that backcountry.

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » July 18th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Might want to look at Minem, Imnaha rivers.

raven

Post by raven » July 18th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Wish I could help, but this is not Alaska. Around here roads are along most rivers in the flatlands where the creeks are reliably class 1 to 2, and while trails are sometimes along the creeks, the roads do detract from the backpacking pleasure.

You might try the Kalmiopsis Wilderness and the Illinois River, building a trip centered around Collier Bar. I've never been there; it will be hot this time of year; and your time may be too limited to do it well. This map is centered on the area, to get you started. http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... eetview=on

Most other trips I can think of around here seem less likely to utilize a packraft as an integral part of the travel experience. Good luck with your planning, and plan on carrying lots of water for travel on the ridges of the Kalmiopsis this time of year.

thegreatjesse

Post by thegreatjesse » July 25th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Something in the Wallowas might be very excellent, but the water is pretty high and fast out that way. Minam or Wenaha look great, but Minam is probably class III.

I found this, but it is from last year and late in the season: http://packrafting.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1614

This is relatively recent, and looks like a great trip: http://adventureswithpackraft.blogspot. ... tains.html

I have been looking for an excuse for years to buy a packraft, but there doesn't seem to be much use for it in the lower 48 :cry: Maybe you will find some really amazing trips and then I can justify buying a boat!
facebook /r/PNWHiking

I write gear reviews and sell things on OutdoorTrailGear. Check it out, if you like reading about gear or buying things.

"For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure." - Rusty Shackleford

drm

Post by drm » July 25th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Do you take oars of some sort? Since proper rivers for this seem to be in short supply, I am thinking of one of those very long lakes, like Ross Lake, really an inland fjord. You can hike for dozens of miles along it and paddle back. The camping spots next to the lake are used a lot by kayakers and other boaters. Might also work for one of the lakes in the Cle Elum area, thought the views wouldn't be as nice.

tonkhero

Post by tonkhero » July 25th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Thanks for the great tips folks, keep 'em coming! Will let you know what we figure out. In the meantime, have been day paddling with local kayakers. The raft really works!