Mid-westers looking for a good mountain hike near Portland

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
elemel

Mid-westers looking for a good mountain hike near Portland

Post by elemel » July 10th, 2012, 8:28 pm

My mom and I are traveling from the mid-west to the Portland area to take advantage of some great hiking! We were recently in Colorado and hiked Lookout Mountain outside Denver and LOVED it!

Does anyone know of any similar hikes near Portland? (Moderate difficulty, good views, some climbing, but nothing that you need equipment to manage)

Thanks for your help! There's so much to read and see! We are very excited for our trip!

hlee

Re: Mid-westers looking for a good mountain hike near Portla

Post by hlee » July 11th, 2012, 4:01 am

You're probably going to be overwhelmed with choices. That's kind of like asking for a good coffee shop in Portland.

When you say "near Portland", I'm not sure how close-in you mean, or when you'll be visiting.

I would start with the Field Guide (http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Main_Page) where you can sort by area and also difficulty and some other cool things. Then if you find one that looks promising, you can come back to the forum and do a search for it and read some more personalized trip reports and browse others' photos.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » July 11th, 2012, 7:57 am

lots of choices but start with Hlee suggestions.

My choices if I was new would be McNiel Pt on Mt Hood and Munra Point in the Gorge to start.

Peder

Post by Peder » July 11th, 2012, 8:14 am

You can check out the Must See Hikes.

No matter how long you are here, and how far you wish to hike in a day, there should be plenty of options to keep you busy. The Mt Hood hikes in the "Must See" hikes are still under snow, but not for much longer.

Personally, I would recommend a Hike from the Johnston Ridge Observatory close to Mt St Helens. The two main hikes are 8 and 13 miles, but there are both shorter and longer possibilities!
DSC01360 (1).jpg
Before 1980 this was a beautiful conical volcano!
This picture is taken about 2 miles from the visitor center. The Pacific coast is also well worth a visit...

Just ask if (or when) you have specific questions. Where in the Mid-west are you from? I lived in St. Louis, MO for a couple of years a long time ago.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Reckless

Post by Reckless » July 13th, 2012, 9:10 pm

Silver Star is fantastic and is bursting with wildflowers right now... about 1.5 hrs outside Portland.
Better to live in the wild - feel it, smell it, see it - and do something real that succeeds. - Jack Turner