Help getting G/F into backpacking

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
USCGandrew

Help getting G/F into backpacking

Post by USCGandrew » June 26th, 2012, 4:03 pm

So my girlfriend has never been backpacking or camping and she doesnt know if shes gonna like it.

Were planning on going somewhere soon to do a day or two of easy backpacking and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to where a good spot would be.

I want to take her somewhere that doesnt have too far of a hike to get to (dont want her to hate it before we even get to the camp site) and is pretty secluded away from anyone. Basically I want to start her off slow, in an area that has a good view (a waterfall nearby would be nice). Walking off the beaten path is ok, id imagine thats where we'd need to go to get to a much less traveled area. I guess looking for a place that isnt too far of a hike and away from most people at the same time dont go too well together but im hoping somewhere fits the bill.

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by USCGandrew on June 26th, 2012, 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

justpeachy

Re: Help getting G/F into camping

Post by justpeachy » June 26th, 2012, 4:53 pm

If I'm reading this right, you're looking for a good backpacking destination, not a car camping destination. Is that right?

One that comes to mind is the area around Potato Butte, in the southern part of the MHNF. Less than two miles from the TH you hit Red Lake, and if you decide you want to go further, there are several other nice lakes further up the trail. Here's the info: http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... Butte_Hike

That said, I doubt this area is melted-out yet. You say you plan to do this "soon". If that means one week, you'd encounter snow on this trail. If that means three or four weeks from now, you'll be fine.

USCGandrew

Re: Help getting G/F into camping

Post by USCGandrew » June 26th, 2012, 5:14 pm

justpeachy wrote:If I'm reading this right, you're looking for a good backpacking destination, not a car camping destination. Is that right?

One that comes to mind is the area around Potato Butte, in the southern part of the MHNF. Less than two miles from the TH you hit Red Lake, and if you decide you want to go further, there are several other nice lakes further up the trail. Here's the info: http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... Butte_Hike

That said, I doubt this area is melted-out yet. You say you plan to do this "soon". If that means one week, you'd encounter snow on this trail. If that means three or four weeks from now, you'll be fine.
Yeah, sorry I should have made it a little clearer. That seems like a perfect area i'll check it out. Thanks

Speaking of snow, is there a lot of snow around crater lake towards the middle - end of July? I'm thinking of taking a 2 day trip over there.

renegadepilgrim

Re: Help getting G/F into backpacking

Post by renegadepilgrim » June 27th, 2012, 1:30 am

If you go in the middle of the week, then you could go up Eagle Creek (there are campsites all along the trail) or the Salmon River Trail (also lots of campsites along the trail). The hike to Meditation Point at Timothy Lake is only 2 miles and there are 5 (I think) campsites to choose from with lake access. I did a "backpack" out there last summer. We hiked in, set up our campsite, then proceeded to walk around the lake (another 13 miles). It was nice. Timothy Lake, otherwise, has tooooooo many people at the actual campgrounds. But it might be a nice intro to her, to get her comfortable with being outdoors, setting up a campsite, etc.

Also, another tip...don't have her carry more crap than you are...I've seen this a lot on the trails I've been on lately and the quickest way for her to hate you and backpacking is for her pack to be heavier than yours. :)

Good luck! I hope she likes it!
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

Reckless

Post by Reckless » June 27th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Siouxon Creek on the Washington side is perfect! Its an easy, beautiful stroll for a few miles (3-4?) and you can camp right next to a giant, gorgeous waterfall!
Better to live in the wild - feel it, smell it, see it - and do something real that succeeds. - Jack Turner

Jackamo.B

Post by Jackamo.B » June 28th, 2012, 12:18 am

Two weekends ago my family and I went to Opal Creek. It's gorgeous!!! It is a very easy 2.2 or so mile hike to Merten Mill. There is a nice level area there with a couple of fire rings and a picnic table (it is not chained down so you can move it if you can lift it). Just behind this area is a wonderful waterfall, you can hear it from your camp. About .10 mile down the road is a bridge with a wonderful beach below. If you cross the bridge you can hike the Opal creek trail and then make the loop past Opal pool and into Jawbone flats. From Jawbone flats continue on the road and it will take you back to Merten Mill (about 1.3 miles). Mosquitoes were not bad at all. Hike around all of the old machinery at Merten Mill, follow some of the trails into the woods toward the creek and you will find a few other camp spots (very secluded).
There will be people walking down the road all day but most people only come for the day so they are all gone by sunset.
Check it out at http://www.opalcreek.org/
Hope you enjoy!
PS. Camping is free but you need a NW forest pass to park overnight at the TH.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 28th, 2012, 1:01 pm

There's a couple ways to look at it..

Generally I wouldn't throw a complete newbie into a quasi backcountry backpack campout. I'd stick with car camping somewhere were you can do dayhikes out and back from there. The last thing you want to do is dive too deep and push too hard and freak them out. That's the best way to make someone say 'never again'.

If you start with car camping, hike them somewhere out of the way and unique and then start leading them until it's their idea and drive to actually backpack in and camp.

Be careful how hard you push, cause it's human nature to push back..

The flip side is to push them in somewhere far enough where they have no choice but to spend at least one night, and hope that they'll fall in love with it by the end.

bcostley

Post by bcostley » June 28th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Carry wine (or another favorite beverage) for her.

dixhuit

Post by dixhuit » June 28th, 2012, 3:13 pm

IMHO the way to get someone excited about backpacking is to take them someplace more awesome than they've ever been. The north sides of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams come to mind. They will be accessible around the second half of July, and there are great high palces that are not that hard to get to.

When my wife was my girlfriend, I took her on her first backpacking trip to Adams Glacier Meadows. I gave her a light pack and she ran my ass off. She was completely hooked and we now do a couple of 7-8 day trips every summer--not bad for a couple of old farts. ;)
Adams Alpenglo.jpg
Adams Glacier Meadows
I took my boys on easy trips to North Lake and Memaloose Lake until they were about 9 and 10, then I took them to Cairn Basin and blew their minds hiking the moraines up higher. The only way I know to get both great scenic beauty and solitude is multi-day trips that get you away from the crowds. I'd go for beauty first and save the solitude for later.

David
In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate
circumstances, profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer.
--Mark Twain