newbie hoping for trail advice

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
casuzy

newbie hoping for trail advice

Post by casuzy » June 23rd, 2008, 7:28 am

Hello all, what an amazing site!! I can't wait to get out there.

My boyfriend and I are headed to oregon for 10 days from pennsylvania. We are experienced day hikers and have done alot of walk in camping. We made the big jump in equiptment in order to do some backpacking and I've been reading like crazy about getting prepared.

We wanted to do a two night loop in the gorge and are very interested in Eaglecreek to Tunnell Falls. Obviously late snow melt prevents us from the full loop(which I had initially hoped we could do.) We want to do two nights out, want to do Eaglecreek, but, I'm hoping someone might have advice on adding another trail/camp to our hopeful eagle creek night. Also, is Bagsby Hot Springs a nice place to overnight?

considering our novice experience - any trail combo advice or loops for two nights out right now?

Thank you!!

Angeline

ceiliazul

Re: newbie hoping for trail advice

Post by ceiliazul » June 23rd, 2008, 8:21 am

I would recommend Larch Mountain, but haven't heard it confirmed clear of snow or not. The route I have in mind is on our field guide, http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... Trail_Hike

The field guide route is 17.2 miles round trip, for 6 miles per day. If you are hoping for more miles, you will find many side trails that make loops to add a few miles.

Paul

Post by Paul » June 23rd, 2008, 9:07 am

When are you planning on coming here? The area above Eagle Creek (to Whatum Lake) tops out about 4200 feet. I tried this weekend to get to Whatum lake via Herman Creek trail, and ran into too much snow around 3600-3700 feet. We were ALMOST there. :(

If you are coming in a few weeks, the trail should be open to the lake, if minimal snow drifts.

Eagle Creek is very beautiful, but very, very busy. If you want to camp up there be sure to start out early. If you can make a loop to Whatum lake, I suggest coming up Gorton Creek, Herman Creek, or the PCT, then coming down Eagle Creek. It's much more of a steady decent unlike Gorton or the PCT. Ahd they will not be as busy.

Be sure to post a trip report!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 23rd, 2008, 9:53 am

The Larch Mountain road is still closed (as of 2 days ago), and I'm sure there's plenty of snow left in the north-facing, heavily forested crater (which is where you'd camp on that route).

With the 7-day forecast (not always reliable!) for dry weather, and "hot" (for here--upper 80's) temps forecast for next weekend, the next two weeks should make a significant dent in the snow. So a lot depends on when you're coming! Keep an eye on trip reports on this site--with the snowmelt situation getting close, as Paul reports, people are going to keep trying until they get through to places like Wahtum Lake and Tanner Butte. That will at least trample down the snow so the trail can be found.

Some semi-loops can be made in the Herman Creek drainage without going all the way to up Wahtum Lake. They will get you to some spectacular views. See the Field Guide for more details.

If you hike Eagle Creek, do it on a weekday and start really early (like sunrise), to avoid the worst of the crowds. Even weekdays are crowded now that summer is here. I'd especially avoid this trail over the July 4 weekend. One recent poster (I can't find his post now) suggested starting really early and hiking above Tunnel Falls (7 1/2 Mile Camp might be good), timing how long it took, taking a long nap (with your alarm set) and starting back in time to return to the car just after sunset. Check the sunset time carefully; you probably don't want to be on that trail in the dark even with a flashlight. This method would avoid the crowds and also get you to a camp site early in the day. Be sure to park near the campground host, not at the trailhead, and leave nothing (of value or otherwise) in your car.

I personally stay away from Bagby Hot Springs, which does not have a good reputation, but Your Mileage May Vary.

casuzy

Post by casuzy » June 23rd, 2008, 11:03 am

Thank you for your thoughts.

Our timing might make this a bit difficult. We will be flying into portland this thursday (28th) and leaving the following Sunday (of July 4 weekend) We can hike/camp Sun through Wed nights of next week. I have split our total oregon time between the coast and the gorge (have reservations on the coast and hood river during both weekends.) Therefore, I had hoped to do eaglecreek Tuesday/Wednesday night but when I looked at weather channel forcast, they are calling for thundestorms on tuesday :( I am not very familiar with how weather happens out there...but, I think thunderstorms don't pass though quickly - or do they?

humm...we're really intrigued to see eaglecreek's beauty, but, would certainly prefer less crowds. Great suggestions about how to do it. although, 14 miles in a day on our first backpack sounds like a lot to me - but, am I correct that alot of the trail leading to 7 1/2 mile camp is pretty even grade? If so, then I wonder if we'd be too pooped for another hike and camp the next day - or the night before?

Do you think it's possible that enough snow might melt by early next week to go to watcom lake loop starting on the PCT and other trails mentioned and coming back down through eagle creek side next mon or tues? If we couldn't get though, do you feel that the beauty on that side of the trail is worthy of a trip to oregon - or would we really be missing out and should try something else? ) on the other hand, more solitute could make up for less drama...

Any guess if Larch Mountain is more likely to stay snow covered than watcom? it sounds wonderful. ...

We will be staying in the area the next few nights after camping, maybe we should just make eaglecreek a day hike and do a smaller one night out hike... Like, bell creek loop? - (but, looks like there is a difficult river crossing in snow melt time there?) humm....

If you have any other suggestions for beautiful hikes that are not ness. loops but where the camping areas could be really nice, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Maybe we'd try a quieter overnight hike and then do the suggestion of in and out to 7 1/2 in one day, with a total of three days, but only one night out there.

Lastly, is there a weather service site/phone where you can get up to the minute conditions on trails, or do you need to get it from other hikers?

extremly thankfull for your thoughts!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 23rd, 2008, 11:11 am

The parking lot on Larch looked like this on Friday 6/20:

There is about five feet of snow still to melt and the road has only been cleared to the 12.6 mile mark (2 miles from the top). Heavy deep snow starts at about 3,200' elevation. Even when you know the route, it's easy to get off-trail.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

casuzy

Post by casuzy » June 23rd, 2008, 12:11 pm

humm..that's alot of snow!!

I'm going to look into Herman Creek Drainage area and views. (are there any crossings in that area to be wary of this time of year?

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » June 23rd, 2008, 12:15 pm

I would do Eagle Creek as a day hike. This year's heavy snow pack seems to be pushing even more people into the Gorge, judging by trip reports and what I've heard from friends (I'm on the other side of the world!). There are plenty of excellent backpacking trips in the Gorge, though I have no idea what's free of snow and what isn't. I've heard excellent things about the Tanner Creek Road, and that wouldn't be too high. It's tricky this year, though...everything seems to be with the snowpack.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 23rd, 2008, 12:21 pm

I have only gone to Bagby once, and did not have a problem, but it has a VERY bad reputation for break ins and such. If you go to the hot springs, you will definitely need.....how do I say this delicately......You will need to keep an open mind, as you will may see things you don't want to see. The one time I was there I certainly did. It is a beautiful place, with a nicely maintained trail, and it is accessible now.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » June 23rd, 2008, 1:18 pm

If you are thinking of Bagby, might I suggest Opal Creek instead? It's one of the most amazing places in Oregon and an excellent backpacking trip.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com