Mt Hood- alpine meadows- snow??

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
-Q-

Mt Hood- alpine meadows- snow??

Post by -Q- » October 23rd, 2008, 6:14 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone been up to the high alpine meadows of Hood the past few days? Would like to hike to either Elk Cove or Wy'East Basin or Paradise Park tomorrow. I thought I read a post last week about the meadows being snowed over already, but wasn't 100% sure.

Thanks!!

Swazicar

Re: Mt Hood- alpine meadows- snow??

Post by Swazicar » October 24th, 2008, 6:30 am

We were on Gnarl Ridge yesterday (Thursday). Above about 6,000' there was consistently at least a few inches of snow in open areas. By about 6,500', 6 inches or more was common, with isolated spots of probably 8-12 inches, depending on aspect, wind, etc.

I assume you'd hit more at Paradise Park than at Elk Cove, but it really wasn't an issue for walking until we got close to 6,000'.

markesc

Post by markesc » October 24th, 2008, 11:19 am

I did a sun/mon trip to Elk cove; the hike out was during beginning of a nice little snow storm, so there should be a decent amount on the timberline trail, but most likely nothing that would pose a problem...and most is prob. melted by now...

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 24th, 2008, 11:32 pm

We ended up hiking to Elk Cove via the Vista Ridge trail this afternoon. The snow started near the intersection with the trail to Eden Park. Nothing too major though (1-3 inches). The Timberline trail to Elk Cove was mainly covered in snow, but very easy to follow. The spur trail to Dollar Lake was covered in snow, but was also visable and easy to follow .

Great day to be on the hill.