Suggestions needed: The "perfect" kids backpacking trip?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mattisnotfrench

Re: Suggestions needed: The "perfect" kids backpacking trip?

Post by mattisnotfrench » June 22nd, 2008, 3:07 pm

jeffstatt wrote: I've also heard Pansey Lake and Bull of the Woods Mountain is good - but is the lake swimmable?
Pansy Lake is pretty shallow and mucky. I didn't go in but it didn't look much more than six feet deep in any spot. The more pressing problem is road access-after the Collowash River bridge washed out at Little Fan, the only access to Pansy Basin, Bull Of The Woods and Elk Lake Creek is via Rho Ridge, which is like a 30-mile detour on gravel roads. Otherwise it would be a good option.

I second Memaloose Lake! Excellent spot for a camping trip, though the drive is a little long.

I also recommend Elk Lake, if you are willing to make the drive. It's an absolutely GORGEOUS lake:

You have both Battle Ax and Mount Beachie for viewpoint hikes, plus Elk Lake Creek if you feel like spending time with some old growth. It isn't a backpacking trip per say since you can drive to the lake, but there's plenty to keep you occupied. It's about 10 miles off Hwy 22 from Detroit so I'd say it's about a 2-hour drive. That is, if the road is in decnet condition! The two times I went there back in the 90s the road was the worst, most washboard, pothole-filled track I've ever seen called a "road"-it was even worse than the stretch of 4220 between Horseshoe Lake and Breitenbush Lake-but allegedly there's been some work done to it and now it's just fine for passenger cars. If you go, you might want to call Detroit Ranger Station for some current information.

If you REALLY plan ahead, and if the snow melts, there's also scores of places in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness that would fit your description-Pamelia Lake, Marion Lake, Duffy Lake, etc. Those are more July-August places though...
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » June 22nd, 2008, 4:13 pm

Elk Lake is incredible. I also second Marion Lake. Its about 6 miles from the Pine Ridge Trailhead. Its just 5 miles off of 22 a little east of Detroit. Camp Pioneer is close by. Marion Mountain is about halfway between the trailhead and the lake. While not quite 360, it does offer views of Jefferson, Three Fingered Jack, and the valley below.

We went last year, and encountered no snow the weekend of July 8. However, this year will be different. My husband was at Camp Pioneer on June 7, and there was still several feet of snow (unfortunately the camp suffered major damage this winter). I think that trailhead sits at about 4500 feet. The council recently had that road plowed, so we may try it over July 4. I would certainly recommend Marion Lake, the hike is fairly kid friendly, nothing too steep or any scary drop offs. It can be hot though, part of it passes through a burn area.
Attachments
Mt Jeff Wild50small.jpg

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » June 23rd, 2008, 10:09 am

jeffstatt wrote:I've also heard Pansey Lake and Bull of the Woods Mountain is good - but is the lake swimmable?
Better check out this link on the trailhead to that one: the road is out, and it's about a 30-mile detour to get there. Also, that wilderness area hasn't been cleared for two years!

Anyway, the lake isn't great for swimming, as I recall.

Billc

Post by Billc » June 23rd, 2008, 12:08 pm

Have you looked at Fire Camp lakes in the Jefferson wilderness. A short hike to Crown lake with others near by. We then bushwacked to Bear Point, an old lookout site now abandoned. It is a little far but we did it with a 12 year old. There are other peaks on that ridge that I want to climb this summer, including Dina-mo peak. All of this is just above Breitenbush on the south fork.
Bill

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 8th, 2008, 7:15 am

Billc wrote:Have you looked at Fire Camp lakes in the Jefferson wilderness. A short hike to Crown lake with others near by. We then bushwacked to Bear Point, an old lookout site now abandoned. It is a little far but we did it with a 12 year old. There are other peaks on that ridge that I want to climb this summer, including Dina-mo peak. All of this is just above Breitenbush on the south fork.
Bill
That might be a good one too. I remember scouting out Bear Point for a backpack a few years ago. I'd forgotten about that area. I wonder how much longer it'll be before these areas melt out? Man it's going to be crowded at higher elevations this August!

Billc

Post by Billc » July 8th, 2008, 11:50 am

I was at the Detroit ranger station last week and asked about the road in to Fire Camp lakes.
The map they keep of open roads stopped way short of the trail head. I am hoping to bushwack to the north side of the ridge and go to the lakes there. I'm looking for the view from the top of the unnamed peak above Crown lake down into the North Breitenbush and perhaps the cascades on the north fork of the north fork of the Breitenbush.

Bill

ElphabaNorthWest

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » July 9th, 2008, 9:59 am

jeffstatt wrote: I've also heard Pansey Lake and Bull of the Woods Mountain is good - but is the lake swimmable?

I've swam in it, but I wouldn't call it swimmable. Several feet of muck at the bottom and it is about 3 ft deep. It is a nice place to hang out though and the trail was cleared up to the lake last year. I think the road is closed though, so there is a detour getting there this year.

Lots of mosquitoes (which I didn't like) and dragonflies (which were beautiful), so if you go bring some deet.