Paulina Lake (or other hot springs) in winter?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
nyxlily

Paulina Lake (or other hot springs) in winter?

Post by nyxlily » December 2nd, 2011, 12:30 pm

Hey folks,

I am headed to Bend/Sunriver area this December and I want to hit some hot springs. Have anyone been to the Paulina Lake one at Newberry Crater in the winter? How accessible is it in the snow, as in, will we even be able to find it? We will be snowshoeing, but driving up to one will be great, too!

Anyone have recommendations to other springs in the area? :D

Thanks people.

retired jerry

Re: Paulina Lake (or other hot springs) in winter?

Post by retired jerry » December 2nd, 2011, 12:33 pm

I've been to the Paulina Lake "hotspring" in summer. It's not very hot and hard to find.

Water

Re: Paulina Lake (or other hot springs) in winter?

Post by Water » December 5th, 2011, 4:22 pm

nyxlily,

If there are any uber good hotsprings that are kinda hidden anywhere, you probably won't get the information openly on the internet.
I think you'll be snowshoeing up to the Lake. I'm not sure if the one cabins there operate in winter via snow mobile or what the whole access story is. I just know you'll probably be going up the road to the lake on snowshoes/foot... not able to drive all the way up.

Look up info on the snow park. Also there is a lodge that is open in the winter on East Lake...you can eat and stay there I think (call first of course).

We went to the hot springs at the NE corner of Paulina lake in September of 2008 (I think..) and it was too hot!! The lake water level was low so the water in the springs immediately heated up too hot to sit in, and I absolutely love really hot water. I could see early in the year with higher water level that the springs would be overwhelmed with cold lake water. I do think in the winter the spot probably remains melted and steamy..but cannot say if it is useable at all (probably not).

enjoy
Feel Free to Feel Free