Snow-free camping options

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
christabrews

Snow-free camping options

Post by christabrews » May 22nd, 2023, 7:19 am

I am looking for a place to camp for next weekend that is out of the snow, preferably next to some kind of body of water with some day hikes nearby. I have an injury so I'm unable to backpack at the moment. Would prefer a more dispersed-camping experience rather than a place that requires reservations. I'm willing to drive up to 4 hours from Portland. Any recommendations?

leiavoia

Re: Snow-free camping options

Post by leiavoia » May 22nd, 2023, 7:34 am

Consider the Sunstone Area of SE Oregon. It’s a longer drive, but a beautiful place at a beautiful time, not crowded, provides the dispersed backpacking experience without the backpacking, and you can spend your time looking for gemstones on the ground. You can visit other interesting desert locations like Fort Rock in the way.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/sunstone-collection-area

dirtman

Post by dirtman » May 22nd, 2023, 8:40 am

Most of the good free low elevation dispersed camping / boondock sites are not next to water or trailheads. And if they are, you will have lots of others nearby.

drm

Post by drm » May 22nd, 2023, 2:40 pm

There are a few good free dispersed car camping options along the Wind River Hwy (FR 30) north of Carson and just above Government Mineral Springs, and on some of the side roads going off of it. These would provide good access to hikes at Trapper Creek and Falls Creek nearby. There are a few Forest Service campgrounds in the area too - I don't know if they are reserved or FCFS.

Are you talking about Memorial Day Weekend? You realize thousands of people will be attempting the same thing. Finding a spot will be easiest if the weather is crummy, which it might be. You need to get out there Friday afternoon. Not sure I would even try on if you can't get there till Saturday.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » May 22nd, 2023, 3:22 pm

This is right at the edge of the 4-hour rule, but maybe look into some of the free BLM campgrounds along the John Day River north of Painted Hills, such as Priest Hole or Burnt Ranch. It's not technically a 'dispersed' camp experience but it's far from the environment of a reserved campground and there's plenty of room to spread out. There are many other dispersed camp spots around Sutton Mountain on BLM land, as well. And you're close to Mitchell, which is a cool little town and Tiger Town is one of the best breweries in the state.

Plenty of other free FCFS campgrounds as well as dispersed camping in the Ochocos, which melts out much earlier. I'm sure most of the higher forest roads in the Ochocos are nearly, if not completely melted out by now. You likely won't get a site along a river or lake, but there are a few creeks... I remember seeing some good dispersed sites along FR-27 headed north out of Prineville along McKay Creek but those will be the first to fill on Mem Day weekend. There are many other dispersed sites and free FCFS campgrounds up there.

Another option slightly closer is dispersed camping off FR-2710 south of the Badger Creek TH, or pay for the FCFS Bonney Crossing Campground and dayhike up Badger Creek. If you opt for the free dispersed sites your water feature is Highland Ditch, but it's "something" and it's only 1/4 mile or so walk down 2710 to Badger Creek.

My last suggestion, perhaps the biggest stretch but possibly the best if it works, the east shore of Timothy Lake. The main campgrounds are supposed to open this weekend, but FR-4280 may still be snowed in... who knows. But I have had success in the past parking along that road and bushwhacking the few hundred feet to the PCT and snagging a lakefront campsite in early June. It is kinda steep, but short and straightforward. There are a couple obviously closed dispersed sites along 4280 but you can just park along the road outside of them.
instagram: @remyodyssey