spring camping & hiking 2.5 hours from Portland?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Jett Powered

spring camping & hiking 2.5 hours from Portland?

Post by Jett Powered » March 22nd, 2023, 12:42 pm

I'm on the lookout for a good places to camp and hike in early April. I'm willing to drive up to 2.5 hours from Portland. I don't have a high-clearance vehicle and am trying to avoid snow.

I'm happy to do an out-and-back hike. No need for a loop. I'm fine not finishing the trail. It'd be nice to make this an overnight backpacking trip but that's not required.

A big thank you to retiredjerry for the Winter & Spring Backpacking guide!

Unfortunately most of those are closed/difficult to get to due to fires or are quite far away. Salmon River fits my needs but all the recent trip reports on alltrails indicate that you can't park at the trailhead without getting your window smashed.

My go-to is Elk Creek Campground but I need to start exploring other areas.

dirtman

Re: spring camping & hiking 2.5 hours from Portland?

Post by dirtman » March 22nd, 2023, 3:02 pm

The Horse Creek north trial head into Drift Creek wilderness is a bit further than 2.5 hours and you dont have to worry about car break-ins. I made it there in a Chevy Spark when the road had piles of "yet to be graded" gravel. Some nice camp sites along the creek.

Lower Deschutes is also good.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 23rd, 2023, 5:51 am

Good idea, I should add Elk Creek. I assume you're talking about between Portland and Tillamook. I haven't done that in a while.

Are there car break-ins there in your experience? Is the gate open to the campground?

I see just peachy and bobcat have added some stuff - that's what's great about the field guide - multiple contributors. And from anyone else that posts information on the forum.

Jett Powered

Post by Jett Powered » March 23rd, 2023, 7:36 am

dirtman wrote:
March 22nd, 2023, 3:02 pm
Lower Deschutes is also good.
Thanks, that looks like a great option! I haven't really done any exploring east of Mt. Hood.

Jett Powered

Post by Jett Powered » March 23rd, 2023, 7:40 am

retired jerry wrote:
March 23rd, 2023, 5:51 am
Good idea, I should add Elk Creek. I assume you're talking about between Portland and Tillamook. I haven't done that in a while.

Are there car break-ins there in your experience? Is the gate open to the campground?
Yup, between Portland and Tillamook. It is wonderfully close to town. The only downside is that you can hear the highway from camp...but you can also hear the wilson river. That wilson river trail follows the highway and isn't very interesting, but the other hikes that start at that trailhead are lovely. Best of all I've not yet encountered anyone else camping there.

It is officially open year-round so there is no gate. I assume they turn the water off at some point but it was still on for me in mid-November. I've camped there twice in the last year and haven't seen any signs of break-ins. *fingerscrossed*

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 23rd, 2023, 8:59 am

good info, thanks

I've heard of break-ins at King's Mt trailhead so I assumed Elk Creek would be similar, but it's off hwy 6 more so maybe not.

A few years ago the gate to Elk Creek campground was close, so I parked outside the gate which is visible from hwy 6, so I was a bit paranoid about break-ins.

I camped a night at the closed Elk Creek campground which was fine, and then backpacked up the Elk Creek trail and found a place to camp up there somewhere. Pull water for drinking at the last spot the trail leaves a tributary of Elk Creek.

The lower Deschutes is great in the winter and spring. It's far enough east of the cascade crest so there's less rain. And it's low elevation which reduces the amount of rain and snow. But there are times it's below 10 F in the winter. And times the roads are difficult because of snow. And it can be very windy.

The lower Metolius is good for the same reasons, but more rain. Same with Badger Creek. Same with Mill Creek.

A lot of detail in the field guide

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » March 23rd, 2023, 6:10 pm

I scoped out Gales Creek last year. You can hike 6 miles to the top, and there is a makeshift camp area on an abandoned section of trail about 5 miles up from the trailhead. I did it in April or May I believe. Works well as an overnight poptart trip.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 24th, 2023, 5:04 am

you started at Gales Creek Campground?

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » March 24th, 2023, 5:16 am

Yes.