Hug Point Memorial Day - 5/28/07

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jeffstatt

Hug Point Memorial Day - 5/28/07

Post by jeffstatt » June 20th, 2008, 3:59 pm

This post is from last year Memorial day. I'm testing a few posts through the old --> conversion routine

This was Memorial Day. It was a gloomy, cold, cloudy day in Portland, but I'm a stubborn sort so I dragged the family out to the beach regardless.

Good thing we did! It was quite a nice day at the beach - a bit chilly.  We'd never been to Hug Beach. I'd seen the photos of the waterfall there and initially I was pretty bummed that I didn't find it! But the mystery was soon resolved - there is another cove off to the right around a ridge of sorts. Looked like a bit of a dangerous spot to get caught in with high tide

What a great spot! What makes this especially fun for the kids, not like they need extra motivation to have fun at a beach, is there's the remnants of an old wagon road that "hugs" the shorline. Between this, the caves, and two fresh water creeks to play in - well, a good time was had by all.

Hug Point Beach

The Falls

From the top of the falls

Start of the old wagon road. Notice the cave to the right

Start of the road

So this is what you had to take before route 101 was established!?

Beyond the road was the huge beach with just no one around! Dodger was trying his hardest to catch a seagul.

One of the kids with my sweatshirt on