Near Catherine Creek 10/29/2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
potato

Near Catherine Creek 10/29/2011

Post by potato » October 30th, 2011, 10:31 pm

On Saturday I headed out to Catherine Creek with my buddies Jeff and Kevin and my dog Bombadil. We left the drear and fog of Portland, and the weather cleared up as we headed east. Just some nice little clouds in the sky. Good views of Hood all day.
Here is the map we followed: http://nwhiker.com/CGNSAHike59.html
This hike was funny... most of the first couple miles were at such a steady incline, and the trail was so straight, it was like walking straight up a big inclined plane.
We saw exactly 0 humans and 1 deer on this hike. Didn't manage to get a photo of it. The suggestion to park a little bit farther east at the first gated road was a good one; the main parking area was somewhat crowded.

The dog had a good time.

We went a little bit too far West, I think. There were some trails that didn't show up on any maps, and I guess we continued on the wrong trail. Anyway we were supposed to turn left and go south before we went down into this ravine, but we ended up descending into it a bit. Not a big deal, we just had to follow the power line for a while to return to the trail.

I wasn't able to capture it very well, but that wall of trees was really cool looking.

I took a bunch of pictures of Oak trees.

(pant, pant, I'm such a happy dog!)

The required east-looking Gorge shot.

After the hike we stopped at Double Mountain brewery for some pizza and beer. A good time was had by all. 100 people stopped to pet my dog when we were eating outside the restaurant. We imagined that Portland would probably still be cloudy, but the weather held up on the drive back and it was nice in Portland too.

These are all with my cell phone; I sent in my camera to be repaired by Panasonic at least 6 weeks ago. Frustrating that it's taking them so long (and that it broke so soon after I got it).
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

retired jerry

Re: Near Catherine Creek 10/29/2011

Post by retired jerry » October 31st, 2011, 5:48 am

Nice report and pics, I have to explore that area.

You sent your camera in to be repaired??? I didn't know you could do that. I thought electronic gear like that was just disposable :)

jdemott

Post by jdemott » October 31st, 2011, 7:04 am

Nice report...beautiful views and colorful scenery.
We went a little bit too far West, I think. There were some trails that didn't show up on any maps, and I guess we continued on the wrong trail.
There's not really a right or wrong way to go...just different paths to explore.

potato

Post by potato » October 31st, 2011, 7:14 am

Thanks guys.

retired jerry: yes, my camera was supposed to be waterproof, but my screen died in early September after a trip to the river less than a month after I got it. They said to send it in, and insisted on repairing it instead of just sending me a new one. I'm thinking about complaining to them because I've missed having that camera on a lot of hikes since then.

jdemott: indeed, there's not a right and wrong way to go, I'm just saying we deviated from the planned route.
Joe hikes (PCT blog)

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » October 31st, 2011, 8:00 am

The last photo is my favorite. You really lucked out with such beautiful weather. What a fantastic doggy playground !
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

geographics

Post by geographics » November 5th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Last edited by geographics on February 23rd, 2012, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potato

Post by potato » November 6th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Cool, glad you liked it! It's nice out there huh? I think it would be great to live in Hood River.
Joe hikes (PCT blog)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 6th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Great shots. If I had to pick a favorite it would be a tough choice. I particularly like one and three. Any ticks?
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 6th, 2011, 7:49 pm

theradpotato wrote:Cool, glad you liked it! It's nice out there huh? I think it would be great to live in Hood River.
I have a friend that lives in White Salmon. I admit to being a tiny bit jealous.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

potato

Post by potato » November 6th, 2011, 10:19 pm

No ticks here, although I did get a tick at Coyote Wall in June (just a mile or two West of Catherine Creek I think) and one at Wygant Peak in May (on the Oregon side at exit 58). I still have a mark from the one in May, isn't that weird? Thanks for saying you liked my pics. I was pretty happy with how the composition turned out in #3.
Joe hikes (PCT blog)