Heather Canyon, the last sunny day of fall?

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Waffle Stomper

Heather Canyon, the last sunny day of fall?

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 20th, 2011, 9:37 am

I had Tuesday off so I took a quick trip up the Newton Creek trail with a friend to one of our favorite lunch spots on the Timberline Trail. Looking down into Heather Canyon this time of the year never disappoints, but this year it seemed especially brilliant. I do hope this is not our last sunny day.

We enjoyed soaking in the warmth of the sun. There was only one other car in the parking lot when we arrived and saw only two other hikers that crossed our path. When we returned there were several cars, I am guessing they either had Elk Meadows as a destination or they might have been hunters settling in for the evening. Otherwise we had the trail to ourselves.

Heather Canyon Autumn. by Janice L, on Flickr

We were happy to see there was still some snow remaining from last week's fresh dusting.
Sunny Outlook by Janice L, on Flickr

This cornice is interesting. This is the first time we noticed it. I had to look at past photos, it was there but barely visible.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Excursionista

Re: Heather Canyon, the last sunny day of fall?

Post by Excursionista » October 20th, 2011, 9:44 am

Wow! I was there three weeks ago and the fall colors just exploded! Looks like you had a beautiful day!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 20th, 2011, 9:52 am

Excursionista wrote:Wow! I was there three weeks ago and the fall colors just exploded! Looks like you had a beautiful day!
It was a great day. I woke up and the wind was blowing outside my window and I looked at the temp in Government Camp and said brrrrr. Dressed for the cold and once we were on the other side of the mountain, I wished I was wearing shorts. :) The colors were phenomenal.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

R11

Post by R11 » October 20th, 2011, 10:29 am

That first photo is very sweet Janice. Hard to imagine that when riding a snowboard down through there :)

ron

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 20th, 2011, 10:42 am

R11 wrote:That first photo is very sweet Janice. Hard to imagine that when riding a snowboard down through there :)

ron
No doubt. :)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 20th, 2011, 11:31 am

Thank you Alexander ST

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 20th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Great photos, Waffle! I usually try to fit a trip in there in mid-October, too. This is one of the "rain-or-shine" hikes on the mountain for me, since I can be just as happy photographing the waterfalls on Heather Creek if the weather isn't cooperative -- though the bright, sunny days when the mountain is out are unbeatable!

Tom :)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 20th, 2011, 8:11 pm

It's a great short hike. I love it there.

Thum

Post by Thum » October 21st, 2011, 12:41 pm

as many have said, that first shot is absolutely amazing. two thums up for an awesome report and a great day on the mountain.

wow, i just got sidetracked for like 40 mintues looking some at some of your past pictures on flicker. the shots of frozen multnomah falls are shots for the ages. having a running catalogue so to speak of photos of that quality is really cool, thanks for sharing:)